Need advice/suggestions

Hello all,

With the BF1 beta out in full swing (kinda lul) and my frame rate being anywhere between 20-40 fps on LOW settings. I think that I just need around CPU to handle all of these upcoming games. 

As of right now I have a G3258 Anniversary edition @ 3.2 Ghz. Not overclocked due to mircocodes. (I can't even raise to 3.3Ghz without it crashing)

And with Battlefield 1 being out, this dual core just really isn't going to cut it unless Microcodes are fixed. But we all know that won't happen.

That being said, I am just looking around a i5's right now, I guess my question is:

What i5 or even a i3 should i possibly upgrade too? (Note: I have a LGA 1150) BUT, if it comes to where it would be better in the long run to upgrade the MOBO to a LGA 1151, I guess I can?

On kinda of a tight budget, so I was thinking about being the cpu 2nd hand.

Any suggestions or advice would be amazing!

Thanks

Full system specs and actual budget, please.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Just now, Imakuni said:

Full system specs and actual budget, please.

CPU: G3258 @ 3.2GHz

GPU: EVGA GTX GeForce 950 SC

Storage: 1 TB HDD

MOBO: Asus H81M-D PLUS

CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Anything else that you need me to list?

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What gpu?

id get a i5 4460 or a e3 1231v3

There isn't a huge benfit to going with 1151, esp with the cost of new ram and mobo.

GPU: EVGA GTX GeForce 950 SC (plan on upgrading it in the future)

If you can get Xeon e3 1231 for good price i would go for it. It will serve you for long time and it won't bottleneck any GPU if you decide to upgrade later. i5 would be also good decision but i'm kinda worried because you would be stuck with 4 core CPU without overclocking which would limit you for the GPU upgrade.

1 minute ago, grillechese said:

CPU: G3258 @ 3.2GHz

GPU: EVGA GTX GeForce 950 SC

Storage: 1 TB HDD

MOBO: Asus H81M-D PLUS

CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Anything else that you need me to list?

Uh... given that you intend to upgrade the GPU later anyways, look for one of the following CPUs for now: i7 4770 / 4790 (without the K at the end) or Xeon 1230/31/40/41 v3. see if you can find one of these for a nice price on the used market.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Just now, Imakuni said:

Uh... given that you intend to upgrade the GPU later anyways, look for one of the following CPUs for now: i7 4770 / 4790 (without the K at the end) or Xeon 1230/31/40/41 v3. see if you can find one of these for a nice price on the used market.

what is the benefit of going with a xeon verus a i5? 

Also, forgot to mention, budget honestly no more than $260. I know it's tight, but I just seeing what options are out there

3 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

If you can get Xeon e3 1231 for good price i would go for it. It will serve you for long time and it won't bottleneck any GPU if you decide to upgrade later. i5 would be also good decision but i'm kinda worried because you would be stuck with 4 core CPU without overclocking which would limit you for the GPU upgrade.

even upgrading to a 1060/70 in the future?

Just now, grillechese said:

what is the benefit of going with a xeon verus a i5? 

A Xeon / i7 will last longer. Given that you are already investing into an end of life platform, you'll want to make it last as much as possible, and HT will help you with that (especially since you can't OC and don't have nice RAM). Besides, it's not that expensive.

3 minutes ago, grillechese said:

Also, forgot to mention, budget honestly no more than $260. I know it's tight, but I just seeing what options are out there

Which is perfect. New Xeons can be found for a bit over 230$, so look for the CPUs I've listed on the used market and see what you can find. Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and find a striking deal.

3 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

A Xeon / i7 will last longer. Given that you are already investing into an end of life platform, you'll want to make it last as much as possible, and HT will help you with that (especially since you can't OC and don't have nice RAM). Besides, it's not that expensive.

Which is perfect. New Xeons can be found for a bit over 230$, so look for the CPUs I've listed on the used market and see what you can find. Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and find a striking deal.

Okay, given that regardless if i go with xeon or i7, i have a 430W PSU right now. does that upgrading if i do either route? or does it depend based on just normal power usage?

3 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Okay, given that regardless if i go with xeon or i7, i have a 430W PSU right now. does that upgrading if i do either route? or does it depend based on just normal power usage?

1 minute ago, grillechese said:

Sigh... I wonder why you didn't list that in the system specs. Nor RAM for that matter. Now I have waste time asking "which 430w PSU is that" rather than just look at your specs and give you a response immediately. I kinda wanted to prevent that from happening when I said "full system specs plz", but I guess it was too much to ask.

Depends on the model of that 430w PSU. If it's a decent unit, you can make do without upgrading. If not, then you'll have to swap that as well, though that can be done along with the GPU upgrade.

Just now, Imakuni said:

Sigh... I wonder why you didn't list that in the system specs. Nor RAM for that matter. Now I have waste time asking "which 430w PSU is that" rather than just look at your specs and give you a response immediately. I kinda wanted to prevent that from happening when I said "full system specs plz", but I guess it was too much to ask.

Depends on the model of that 430w PSU. If it's a decent unit, you can make do without upgrading. If not, then you'll have to swap that as well, though that can be done along with the GPU upgrade.

My bad m8, but with 8GB of ram, i was going to upgrade that either way. but it's an EVGA think it's 80 bronze rated.

13 minutes ago, grillechese said:

i5 will bottleneck 1070,1060 will work perfectly with i5. e3 1231 will work perfectly with 1070 tho

13 minutes ago, grillechese said:

i5 will bottleneck 1070,1060 will work perfectly with i5. e3 1231 will work perfectly with 1070 tho

Just now, frozeNNN said:

don't know to much about xeons. what the difference between the 1231/1240/1241? Cache or what?

9 minutes ago, grillechese said:

don't know to much about xeons. what the difference between the 1231/1240/1241? Cache or what?

Clockspeed, pretty much.

10 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Clockspeed, pretty much.

Alright, thanks so much for the input and the help!