Mighty nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm

The mighty error which has consumed me. It destroys hearts and minds and now I am crazy. Ah, the terror and agony it confuses and it torments. 

Mighty and glorified nvlddmkm that has won all victory. 

I shall now place the PC into the trash.

It is not possible fixing this error. 

It is not possible finding solace or joy or a cure. 

They told me DDU fresh instalation and current drivers afterwards. 

They told me DDU and previous drivers, which 3 versions months apart I tried. 

This failed, which was destiny. It is not possible correcting nvlddmkm. 

I am wrong, not nvlddmkm. I am evil,  not nvlddmkm.

They told me I should open Nvidia control panel and switch preferred maximum performance. 

They told me edit the registry. 

Not one solution succeeded. 

I tried googling and googling. Maybe even bing once. I read many posts and not one solution was found. 

Underclock your GPU! +0mV - 100MHz -200MHz and -400! The same. 

I open Chrome and nvlddmkm appears. Fresh restart and open Chrome first thing. nvlddmkm appears before I even open a page! And often times on Steam.

Neary a game or program 'cept Chrome and Steam. nvlddmkm it mocks me, driving me mad. 

Windows 10, mighty Microsoft and your beautiful, mandatory and automatic updates. Everything was fine for months and months and suddenly nvlddmkm. 

Sure I switched PCI slots and optimized air flow except temps were fine and my GTX 970 reaches 1500 MHz and almost 8,000 Memory barely at 65 degrees. 

No, no. Not during Mankind Divided or CS:GO or Minecraft Windows 10!

Only on the Steam client and Chrome! Nay, not firefox nor during steam games! 

nvlddmkm it mocks me and once that error shows GPU-z, dutifully, would report my voltage at 0.8500 V and GPU clock at 405MHz and 405MHz memory! 

Now nvlddmkm decides my clock speed. 

I restart hoping it goes away and I game and game, then I click a few steam buttons and nvlddmkm appears again. 

I plan on purchasing an EVGA GTX 1070 on Friday. This error appears again and I promise I shall place this whole pc into the trash. 

Edit: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/4xnnTW

Have you tried clean installing windows?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Steam and Chrome both use the same browser engine to display the webpages.
You could try to disable GPU acceleration in chrome and looks if its a problem of that implementation.

Just search for "use hardware acceleration when available" in the chrome settings.

~ ThxAndBye

"You should remove any cats from the vicinity, because cats will cause all kinds of problems doing CPU installation." -Linus

delid i7-3770k @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.265V | EVGA z77 FTW | GTX 680 2way-SLI | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866MHz | 240GB SSD RAID 0 | Full Custom Water Loop with two 360mm radiators  -> live temps <-

The suggestions above seem on the nose. In particular the windows clean install. Given that a windows upgrade caused this problem, I would expect some sort of operating system corruption or other driver garbage.

A clean install would definitely be in order before throwing a pc in the trash :P

You should be a poet. But yeah, do what above said. It seems it's a problem with the chromium engine, so likely an issue withen windows or withen chrome settings(more likely Windows though)

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

I felt that this was the case, that both steam and chrome were based on the same API or whatevers. I uninstalled Chrome already. I felt that it was dumb that this would just show up at random. Based on the viewing the logs on Event View, I saw that the errors really started happening repeatedly around the same time and since then. This was right before the Anniversary update and since I got Windows Insiders preview installed I would guess that I got the Anniversary update a week or two early.

Note: I disabled hardware acceleration etc on Chrome and the same thing would happen. Not that hard triggering the error for demonstration, only open up a youtube video and scrub a bunch and pause and unpause. Happens every time, only on Chrome.

Also, about reinstalling Windows. Funny story, I joined Windows Insiders before Windows 10 launched. Even though Microsoft, they told us that free licenses were ONLY for win 7 or 8 upgrades, I got one anyways. I felt that reinstalling windows could potentially wipe my 100% authenticated and legitimate windows license, the one I paid $0 for.

Also, days past, it was possible uninstalling windows updates for something like that. Obviously all windows 10 core updates are mandatory.

Also funny, something disabled my system restore. The very first thing I tried doing, once I first noticed this error happening rapidly, was open up system restore. Great, it was disabled and a restore was not possible. I guess I could fresh install Windows via the system setting except that might not work anyway since I also read about people reinstalling windows and the same thing happening. Also, since windows automatically updates now it would just update that same update again causing the same problem. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT 2:

I thought I solved it (Naturally) since I just discovered a thread about how the problem only happens on Steam AND Chrome. They told us that updating the Chipset drivers might remedy the problem. NOEP LEWLELWE

Also the thread referenced disabling hardware acceleration on Steam except went on not explaining how one might.

nvlddmkm.PNG

Edited by UndueHatred

The thing is, that your windows licence only is free when you have Insider updates enabled. But you can do that at any tome with any windows installation.

So basically everyone can beta test the updates in exchange for a copy of windows.

If you don't want Insider updates, you get OEM licences dirty cheap.

Not sure if that is legal in any county, but here in Germany it is allowed by law to resell licence keys. (no matter if MS wants it or not, they cant and are not allowed restrict it)

That is the reason why i always pick up my Windows licences for about 10€ each.

~ ThxAndBye

"You should remove any cats from the vicinity, because cats will cause all kinds of problems doing CPU installation." -Linus

delid i7-3770k @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.265V | EVGA z77 FTW | GTX 680 2way-SLI | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866MHz | 240GB SSD RAID 0 | Full Custom Water Loop with two 360mm radiators  -> live temps <-

Funny thing, I turned off the Windows Insiders update during my troubleshooting since I was making an attempt at rolling the build backwards. The product remained activated. Although, based on my research it would seem that a fresh installation would not work. Multiple people report having the same error off a brand new installation. Maybe my PSU went bad...? Except look at this.

Temps and everything fine. I could run that all day or game for 6 hours straight and not one error. I click around steam for 5 minutes or open Chrome at all and BOOM. Error.

Logically, the only remaining troubleshooting step would end up being reformat and fresh Windows except I got at least 750GB stored up. That is a big commitment for something that might not even work.

Perhaps I shall swap cards on Friday, like planned, and had that lovely error popped up again then I guess reformat.

Otherwise I guess my Corsair CX600m didn't even last 18 months?

thermal example.PNG