Can I virtually reduce the screen size?

I am considering buying a 49' 4K TV to use as a monitor (I am aware of all the HDMI 1.4/2.0 refresh rate stuff, input lag, etc.). However in some use cases 49' is too much, so the perfect solution would be to virtually reduce the size of the screen. QHD virtual screen would take about 32.5', which is perfect for me, so is it possible at all?

I'm not sure if that is something new or how it works with different systems then Windows 10 or different then nvidia GPUs.

(I just found out trying to search for a solution and tinkering around)

Go to the NVIDIA Control Panel

adjust desktop size and position

select your monitor

go to scaling and select "No scaling"

change the resolution in Windows to the resolution you want.

The Image should be displayed at the middle of the screen, with black bars around it.

Some monitors also support a setting, where they don't scale the image and I'm pretty sure that mine does.
Strangely the system always sends the native resolution to the display. That might be a new thing in Winodws or the nvidia driver. (the display does not go black, when changing the resolution)

That way, the display never gets a chance, to display a lower resolution with 1:1 scale. (since its already gets an upscaled image)

~ ThxAndBye

"You should remove any cats from the vicinity, because cats will cause all kinds of problems doing CPU installation." -Linus

delid i7-3770k @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.265V | EVGA z77 FTW | GTX 680 2way-SLI | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866MHz | 240GB SSD RAID 0 | Full Custom Water Loop with two 360mm radiators  -> live temps <-