3.0 USB Ports Won't Work After Windows 8.1 Install

Hey guys, I just recently upgraded from windows 7 to 8 and then 8.1. I am missing this one driver. My USB 3.0 ports in the back currently arent working. I have a Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Motherboard with a i7 3930K. Here is what I am seeing.http://gyazo.com/53793fb0d207da8c60c11c942f9e42f5

I installed this host driver:http://www.via-labs.com/en/support/downloads.jsp#hostdriver and I also the USB 3.0 driver off of the Gigabyte website:http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4777&dl=1#driver I know it isnt the drive because it works in the 2.0 ports.

Any help?

I'm using Windows 8.1 and my USB 3.0 ports work fine.

Try reinstalling the drivers by uninstalling it via Programs and Features or/and in device manager and downloading the latest drivers and installing it?

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Windows 8.1 should be a different feat from Windows 8 (just the fact that NVIDIA is delivering special optimisations and a distinct option in OSs menu is quite telling).

I would look if there's any way to get legitimate Windows 8.1 drivers, or at least reinstall the Windows 8 ones hoping that they're backwards compatible.

At least that's my perception of it, i hope how Microsoft is planning to make users deal with fudemental driver updates when this update breaks in.

Stop bloating nonsense, and reason to contribute in a constructive manner.

Try reinstalling the drivers by uninstalling it via Programs and Features or/and in device manager and downloading the latest drivers and installing it?

Ive done that twice

Windows 8.1 should be a different feat from Windows 8 (just the fact that NVIDIA is delivering special optimisations and a distinct option in OSs menu is quite telling).

I would look if there's any way to get legitimate Windows 8.1 drivers, or at least reinstall the Windows 8 ones hoping that they're backwards compatible.

At least that's my perception of it, i hope how Microsoft is planning to make users deal with fudemental driver updates when this update breaks in.

all the drivers were 8.1 64 bit drivers

Check your UEFI to see if everything is working well then, it's so weird to be perfectly honest.

Contact Gigabyte support, looking at the class of your board i doubt that they'd take more than 3 days to give you a straight cutting answer.

Stop bloating nonsense, and reason to contribute in a constructive manner.

Try not using the drivers from Gigabyte and just using the drivers built into Windows.

On my board my USB3 will break if I install the drivers from the website.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Doesn't Win8.1 include USB 3.0 support? I mean I know Win8 supports it, if you are lucky.. but I am sure Microsoft expended that support with the controllers that came after Win8 release.

Just finished updating to Windows 8.1 and I'm getting the same issue now too. 

I go to Device Manager and see two USB Root Hub (xHCI) with code 19 errors

I uninstall these then do another "Scan hardware for changes".  Windows automatically loads the drivers and the ports will work again.

However, I think the culprit is my USB drive that has bitlocker encryption on it.  I plug my USB headset to these 3.0 ports and it works just fine.  For the USB drive, I get the Bitlocker message saying it's encrypted.  I try to decrypt it and then the USB ports stop again.

The only thing that works is reformatting the USB drive and encrypting again.  That worked until I rebooted the system again.   Even updated chipset drivers for my motherboard.  I can't find any other solution :(

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

Sounds to me, that the USB controller drivers doesn't like (never tested) bitlocker feature.

Sounds to me, that the USB controller drivers doesn't like (never tested) bitlocker feature.

That's what it sounded like and I even mucked around the registry going by Microsoft KB articles citing the same issue from previous versions of Windows (up to 8) as well as Bitlocker Registry settings.

After an hour of struggle I finally solved it thanks to this thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/usb-3-not-working-windows-cannot-start-this/6d6e0203-3763-4444-8a93-8456cf555ad4

I uninstalled any utility within my Asus AI Suite II that's related to USB: EPU, USB 3.0 Boost, and AIChargerPlus.  Restarted system and voila!  It works!

I win this time Microsoft... I win this time...

Now I'm gonna go to sleep. :lol:

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

some times you need that driver you get with your mortherboard 

if it don´t work, i have no idea