Memory clocks for the i5-2500

Go to solution Solved by Imakuni,
1 minute ago, Matt_SC_BR said:

Thanks! but i have no idea what XMP is hahahaha so if i just plug those memories in they will run at 1333mhz no problem? my fear was of CPU damage

Page 36 of your manual. Enable it and your RAM will run at it's rated to be OCed speed.

Sup guys, i suspect my memory stick on my second computer is starting to fail (it was only 2gb anyway) so i will be buying a couple DDR3 8gb sticks to replace it.

i checked my motherboard (z68ma-d2h-b3) and it supports up to 2133MHz DDR3 ram.

BUT, i checked ARK for my i5 2500, and i says that it only supports up to 1333MHz DDR3 ram...

So, my question is: what will happen if i buy 2 sticks of 1866 or 1600MHz and put them on my PC? will my CPU be in danger? is it safe? Should i really buy only 1333MHz ram?

thanks!

5 minutes ago, Matt_SC_BR said:

Sup guys, i suspect my memory stick on my second computer is starting to fail (it was only 2gb anyway) so i will be buying a couple DDR3 8gb sticks to replace it.

BUT, i checked ARK for my i5 2500, and i says that it only supports up to 1333MHz DDR3 ram...

So, my question is: what will happen if i buy 2 sticks of 1866 or 1600MHz and put them on my PC? will my CPU be in danger? is it safe? Should i really buy only 1333MHz ram?

thanks!

it would be safe

it may run at 1333 mhz though(can't clarify this though)

Mouse: Logitech g402 <3

Keyboard: Some Tenkeyless with blue kalih switches

Headphones: Logitech g430

Monitor: HP w2207h (1680 x 1050 @ 60hz)

PC Specs:CPU(AMD A8 6500 @3.5ghz), Mobo ( ASUS A68HM-E  FM2+), 1x1600mhz 4gb stick of ram, Random grey PSU, 920gb ssd

PhoneIphone 5 32gb

Tablet: Ipad 2 16gb

Laptop:Toshiba satelite with 8gb of ram a 480gb ssd and a mobile 2nd gen I3

7 minutes ago, Matt_SC_BR said:

thanks!

You can buy higher rated sticks just fine, your mobo supports RAM OCing. That '1333' limitation on the CPU is just saying that the IMC may not be good enough to handle that speed, even if the sticks themselves can. Just as with any OC, you won't know if it's stable until you try it.

Just buy your 1866 rated RAM and plug it it, it'll probably work just fine (remember to enable XMP!). Worse that can happen is for it to run at 1333mhz.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

36 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

You can buy higher rated sticks just fine, your mobo supports RAM OCing. That '1333' limitation on the CPU is just saying that the IMC may not be good enough to handle that speed, even if the sticks themselves can. Just as with any OC, you won't know if it's stable until you try it.

Just buy your 1866 rated RAM and plug it it, it'll probably work just fine (remember to enable XMP!). Worse that can happen is for it to run at 1333mhz.

Thanks! but i have no idea what XMP is hahahaha so if i just plug those memories in they will run at 1333mhz no problem? my fear was of CPU damage

1 minute ago, Matt_SC_BR said:

Page 36 of your manual. Enable it and your RAM will run at it's rated to be OCed speed.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!