i3 6100 = AMD?

Go to solution Solved by GalacticRuler,

FX-8350, but it runs slower in everything except multi-threaded applications.

6 minutes ago, GalacticRuler said:

Boy is that a sad thing to see or what. One of AMD's higher tier CPUs matched and outperformed in most cases by a i3

Just now, benga said:

Boy is that a sad thing to see or what. One of AMD's higher tier CPUs matched and outperformed in most cases by a i3

It is a 4 year old chip being compared to a new chip. I am hoping Zen brings better stuff, but we just gotta wait and see.

I have to disagree.  FX-8320 is already much better in lots of applications, it may be slightly less than i3 in games as they're not using multithreading as much.

FX-8320 is 8 x 3.5 ghz with turbo up to 4 ghz... mine usually goes up to 3.725 Ghz on up to 4-6 cores, i rarely see it reach 4 ghz.

In multithreaded applications , FX-4350 (quad core, 4.2 ghz) should be on par with i3-6100 and single threaded applications will also work decently due to the high frequency.

FX-6300 is better at multithreaded apps due to having 6 cores, but has less frequency at 3.5 ghz and fx-6350 is somewhere in between with better single threading performance as it has the cores running at 3.9 ghz default frequency

Nothing really. The i3-6100 has much better single threaded performance than anything AMD has to offer as of now and the 8350 (or 8320) mentioned performs as well as a haswell i7 in tasks that can properly utilize the 8 cores. There's no place for the two to be properly compared yet they are often similarly priced.  

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

10 minutes ago, GalacticRuler said:

how is that similar in the slightest? Different number of cores, different single threaded performance, different total performance...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I'd say around a FX-6300 at stock or a OC'd 880K if you're talking about multi-threaded, single-threaded is a whole another thing.

10 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Nothing really. The i3-6100 has much better single threaded performance than anything AMD has to offer as of now and the 8350 mentioned performs as well as a haswell i7 in tasks that can properly utilize the 8 cores. There's no place for the two to be properly compared.  Nothing really. The i3-6100 has much better single threaded performance than anything AMD has to offer as of now and the 8350 mentioned performs as well as a haswell i7 in tasks that can properly utilize the 8 cores. There's no place for the two to be properly compared. 

The Lower End AMD chips haven't been getting much attention, but the Athlon 880K is quite nice.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM