Fx 8350 platform set

Hi guys..My cousin recently decided to get a new PC (mainly for every day use and occasional gaming) so I told her I would help her choose the parts and build it.

Meanwhile a friend of mine is selling his AM3+ platform (8350,990fxa gigabyte mobo,2x4gb hyperx ram) for 200 euros (they cost 350 new although I dont think they are worth that much nowadays)

Anyway the thing is that the parts are like new and im 100% sure no oc has been applied ever (they are not even a year old so there is still a warranty).My only concerns are :

1) Is the 8350 able to handle todays games with such a low single core performance?Will it be able to handle future titles?Will the 8 cores (4 modules) be utilized properly?

2)My cousin has already a PC with an i5 2310 sandy bridge which will be given to her dad..will she notice a downgrade in performance? (fyi she doesnt use editing software)

3)I was ready to search for skylake i5 6500 combos (costing around 300+ with a cheap..ish microATX board)would it be worth the extra cash?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading.. :)

15 minutes ago, John120196 said:

Hi guys..My cousin recently decided to get a new PC (mainly for every day use and occasional gaming) so I told her I would help her choose the parts and build it.

Meanwhile a friend of mine is selling his AM3+ platform (8350,990fxa gigabyte mobo,2x4gb hyperx ram) for 200 euros (they cost 350 new although I dont think they are worth that much nowadays)

Anyway the thing is that the parts are like new and im 100% sure no oc has been applied ever (they are not even a year old so there is still a warranty).My only concerns are :

1) Is the 8350 able to handle todays games with such a low single core performance?Will it be able to handle future titles?Will the 8 cores (4 modules) be utilized properly?

2)My cousin has already a PC with an i5 2310 sandy bridge which will be given to her dad..will she notice a downgrade in performance? (fyi she doesnt use editing software)

3)I was ready to search for skylake i5 6500 combos (costing around 300+ with a cheap..ish microATX board)would it be worth the extra cash?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading.. :)

It seems the forum ate my reply. I'll try again:

1) It depends on the game. It can give you a decent performance, but it depends on which game and which resolution and target FPS you have in mind. I can give you a reference with the FX I have and the games I use, but they may not mean much to you if you are looking at a completely different set of games and screens. As games become more CPU demanding, especially in terms of performance per core as opposed to number of threads, the FX will struggle more.

2) No, she'll have an overall better performance with the 8350. Single core performance will barely change, and multithreaded performance will be better. Any OC on the 8350 will give her better performance across the board.

3) the i5 6500 is substantially better than the 8350, at least up to 4 threads, which will rarely be exceeded in the use case you describe. Moreover, it belongs to a much more modern platform (DDR4, PCIe 3.0) which could pay off in terms of future upgrades. I'd say the 6500 is the way to go as long as it's within the budget.

Like the post above says, 8350 is mostly fine, the only issue I have with mine is the loading screen with the sirens and stars in GTA V stutters, after that screen I get a constant 60fps. but the 6500 is better by a considerable amount, so if the new RAM, CPU and board are in budget then that, bare in mind since you aren't getting a "k" version you will have no problems with the lower end chip sets, providing the board you choose has the required specs.

Thanks for the reply guys :)

I would persume the target FPS would be 50-60 (with something like a used gtx 950 for 100) with medium-high settings

To be honest Im not sure if she WILL play a cpu intensive title although I would want her to have that choice should she decide to..

Im just a little confused right now cause I know the i5 is considerably better but I also believe that for a budget of 200 the 8350 set is a no-brainer

I guess the best thing to do right now is talk with her to figure out what she is willing to pay (since my friend told me there is no rush in selling his stuff)

If I go with an i5 I would also consider spending extra for the graphics (maybe a used 290 for 170-180) to ballance things out but Again im not sure if she will eventually use the system for more demanding games (she's currently playing LoL :P)

About the i5 set: yep the mobo is good enough (chipset-wise) but it will lack expanability (less pcie,usb ports)..not a serious prob though 

5 minutes ago, John120196 said:

PS:her monitor res is 1080p60hz ;) 

I'd say the GPU will be the limit in that case for most current games even with an FX 8350, especially with some OC (the motherboard can handle something more than stock speeds). At 4.4GHZ, I play Metro Last Light in ultra (1920x1200 60Hz) with two 280s in crossfire, 60fps flat. The only thing I cannot max so far are some AA filters, but those is because of the GPUs (with one I have to set it off, with two I can use the first or second level, the latter accepting 45-60FPs instead of flat 60).

I'm not sure it's a tremendous deal, though. The used mobo and 8GB DDR3 won't cost much these days (probably less than €100 combines, at least in ebay.de). The 8350s are still selling somewhat above €100, which I don't fully understand :P So 200 is fine, but within expectations.

I think what you said is right, though: talk to her and see what her needs are and what could potentially benefit her more ;) (that is, the i5 or the money :P)

Lol I guess it seems like a good deal to me because the gigabyte 990fxa mobo still costs around 150 euros here in Greece (being a great chip set and all) while the 8350 is well over 100 costing 160-170 :P like I said though I dont think it is worth it buying the set new..

Anyway I can always get the extra ram for my personal rig since its exacly the type and freq I need :D

Thanks very much for all your fast responces..it really helped me get some things staight (although i still need to talk to my cousin for a final decision) :)

Ps:the used market here is in a bad shape plus since its not for me I would wanna be extra sure everything works like new and includes a decent warranty ;)