OC help

I've been trying to get a faster oc on my cpu for some time now and I'm still not getting what I want to actually achieve any help would be much appreciated 

maximus v extreme

i7 3770k

32gb ram

two GTX 680 sli 

1500 watt psu 

highest OC iv got is 4.2 but I must be doing something wrong because I've seen ppl achieve 4.7 if someone could give me a tutorial or how to id really appreciate the help 

thanks

Maxxspeed 

6 minutes ago, Maxxspeed said:

I've been trying to get a faster oc on my cpu for some time now and I'm still not getting what I want to actually achieve any help would be much appreciated 

maximus v extreme

i7 3770k

32gb ram

two GTX 680 sli 

1500 watt psu 

highest OC iv got is 4.2 but I must be doing something wrong because I've seen ppl achieve 4.7 if someone could give me a tutorial or how to id really appreciate the help 

thanks

Maxxspeed 

from your processor, i7-3770k at 3.4GHz, and a up to 4.2 is a big difference as is. you might have seen people with a higher base clocked cpu like for example me with an i7-4790k at base 4.0, and OC at 4.8 currently. You could be at the limit of your OC before it becomes unstable. I havnt really messed around much in OC my cpu much more even though im on liquid cooling. some people even use liquid nitrogen to get even crazier temps and speeds on their computers. So everything takes in effect here. 

11 minutes ago, Maxxspeed said:

maximus v extreme

i7 3770k

32gb ram

two GTX 680 sli 

1500 watt psu 

thanks

Maxxspeed 

Every cpu is different. What temps are you getting on 4.2?

12 minutes ago, Maxxspeed said:

maximus v extreme

i7 3770k

32gb ram

two GTX 680 sli 

1500 watt psu 

thanks

Maxxspeed 

also what are you using to cool your cpu?

Just because other people have gotten 4.7 doesn't mean you or anyone else will. In part due to the silicon lottery.  

When you are going to overclock the first thing to do it is set everything to stock values. This means going into the BIOS and turning it from auto to a set value.

Then you increase the multiplier of the CPU and test if it is stable with a stress test if it is then you can increase the multiple again. When it becomes unstable you increase the Vcore.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I'm currently running a noctua NH-D14 to cool my cpu it's giving me lower temps than my H100i ever did and my friend has achieved up to 4.5 with his noctua NH-D14 and 3770k but he  has a asrocks board not Asus 

6 minutes ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

also what are you using to cool your cpu?

Noctua Nh-d14 and getting 52c at full load for 30 minutes