Critique my build!

CDK2020

Hello everyone!

I am looking to build a new computer and I have completed a draft, I am looking for improvements that can be made while not increasing the price by more than USD $50.

Before you change my graphics card please note that I have a freesync monitor and would like to take advantage of that capability.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/K2GJM8

Any tips welcome!

You could get a GTX 1070 for the same price as a Fury and that would DESTROY the Fury.

And I'm even an AMD Radeon fanboy.

I would also recommend getting an EVGA G2/GS/GQ 550w or a Seasonic S12II or M12II.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

2 minutes ago, Rolfejc said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/zj3Ff7

A few small changes but the GPU is not a good choice since you can get a Fury X for cheaper. PSU is also a lot better as well. 

Wrong link? Doesn't look anything like my build.

I'm aware I can get it for cheaper I just want to put it on the list to check for compatibility.

3 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

You could get a GTX 1070 for the same price as a Fury and that would DESTROY the Fury.

I would also recommend getting an EVGA G2/GS/GQ 550w or a Seasonic S12II or M12II.

I really want to use freesync... should I wait until vega?

11 minutes ago, CDK2020 said:

Hello everyone!

I am looking to build a new computer and I have completed a draft, I am looking for improvements that can be made while not increasing the price by more than USD $50.

Before you change my graphics card please note that I have a freesync monitor and would like to take advantage of that capability.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/K2GJM8

Any tips welcome!

Although it should all work, there are somethings you could save money on. 

- I wouldn't recommend a AIO water cooler, you can get high end air cooling for almost half the price getting similar temps. 

- It wont save money but you could just get a regular SSD instead of an M.2. You have a SATA M.2 which isnt any better than a regular SSD, if you want better performance, get a NVME M.2 (These are very expensive though). 

- 600W is overkill, 500W is fine for any single GPU setup. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Just now, CDK2020 said:

You could, although if you want to use freesync right now I would go for something like the 480 (or two, in games with good scaling you can get GTX 1080 performance) to give you some power until vega arrives.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Just now, rn8686 said:

Although it should all work, there are somethings you could save money on. 

- I wouldn't recommend a AIO water cooler, you can get high end air cooling for almost half the price getting similar temps. 

- It wont save money but you could just get a regular SSD instead of an M.2. You have a SATA M.2 which isnt any better than a regular SSD, if you want better performance, get a NVME M.2 (These are very expensive though). 

- 600W is overkill, 500W is fine for any single GPU setup. 

I know it's using sata speeds but it was a really good deal for a 850 evo series ssd.

The estimated power usage was 492, doesn't leave much headroom if I use a 500

1 minute ago, CDK2020 said:

Although Vega has been pushed forward to the end of October, I highly doubt that the supply will stabilize until the very end of the year or early next year. If you can wait that long, sure.  

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

Peripherals 

3 minutes ago, CDK2020 said:

Wrong link? Doesn't look anything like my build.

I'm aware I can get it for cheaper I just want to put it on the list to check for compatibility.

Oh yeah oops here is the correct link sorry http://pcpartpicker.com/list/QbQd9W

5 minutes ago, rn8686 said:

Although Vega has been pushed forward to the end of October, I highly doubt that the supply will stabilize until the very end of the year or early next year. If you can wait that long, sure.  

Any idea the price to performance compared to the pascal cards? 

14 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Would a 1070's performance and fast sync outweigh the fast sync? 

Whats the point of the 750w power supply?

There is a lot of headroom for future upgrades and if you OC your CPU a lot power consumption can increase a lot. 750 watt may be a bit overkill but it's always a nice thing to have. The 600B you had in your parts list was more of a value PSU so I wouldn't recommend it in a build like this. 

Any idea the price to performance compared to the pascal cards? 

There has been almost no information about Vega other than it will be out at the end of October. It should aim to compete with the 1070 and 1080, hopefully at a lower price point making 1440p and 4k more affordable. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

Peripherals 

There is a lot of headroom for future upgrades and if you OC your CPU a lot power consumption can increase a lot. 750 watt may be a bit overkill but it's always a nice thing to have. The 600B you had in your parts list was more of a value PSU so I wouldn't recommend it in a build like this. 

Would it be better to go for semi modular for the power supply? Would that save any money?

Also in your opinion would like to use freesync so would a 1070 using fast sync be better than a say a 480 or 49 fury x using freesync?

Would it be better to go for semi modular for the power supply? Would that save any money?

Also in your opinion would like to use freesync so would a 1070 using fast sync be better than a say a 480 or 49 fury x using freesync?

Well you may be able to save a bit of money by buying a semi-modular PSU. However the quality of the PSU itself likely is not going to be as good as the G2. The Evga G2 power supplies are good choices for basically any build that has a decent budget which is why I like to recommend these PSUs. They also get good ratings from professional reviews. 

In most games the GTX 1070 will be faster than the Fury X. It does depend on the game, I consider Freesync a nice to have feature though. 

3 minutes ago, Rolfejc said:

Well you may be able to save a bit of money by buying a semi-modular PSU. However the quality of the PSU itself likely is not going to be as good as the G2. The Evga G2 power supplies are good choices for basically any build that has a decent budget which is why I like to recommend these PSUs. They also get good ratings from professional reviews. 

In most games the GTX 1070 will be faster than the Fury X. It does depend on the game, I consider Freesync a nice to have feature though. 

Ok, I'll take you up on that power supply.

Still my question is whether 1070 with fast sync is better than r9 fury x/480 with freesync

Just now, CDK2020 said:

Still my question is whether 1070 with fast sync is better than r9 fury x/480 with freesync

I am not really familiar with Fast Sync I never really heard of it to be honest. Maybe this will help though https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/4p0q7a/lets_talk_about_vsync_freesync_gsync_adaptivesync/ the RX 480 definitely is not faster than the GTX 1070 in basically any game though. With the Fury X it depends on the game, 1070 wins in most games though. I don't really think these types of technologies impact gaming performance too much to my knowledge though. 

These are all probably already mentioned but I'll have a go.

> High end Build > EVGA 600B (upgrade that shit)

> Save buck by getting the great value that is the Liqmax http://pcpartpicker.com/product/LJ8H99/enermax-cpu-cooler-elclmr240bs

> M.2 850 EVO 120GB is bad value, get a SATA one instead. http://pcpartpicker.com/product/3kL7YJ/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz75e250bam

> R9 Furies aren't worth more than $350 these days. Get Fury X or 1070 http://pcpartpicker.com/product/CDx9TW/xfx-video-card-r9fury4qfa

If you want adaptive sync, the Fury X is a better value since freesync monitors are up to $250 cheaper. I recommend this one

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/ZBZ2FT/aoc-monitor-g2460pf + Fury X

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just now, Rolfejc said:

I don't really think these types of technologies impact gaming performance too much to my knowledge though. 

When you rate performance as just framerate, adaptive sync does nothing.

But when you rate performance as the actual experience, it removes refresh cycles that don't get a new frame, and screen tears when framerate is below max refresh.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

I am not really familiar with Fast Sync I never really heard of it to be honest. Maybe this will help though https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/4p0q7a/lets_talk_about_vsync_freesync_gsync_adaptivesync/ the RX 480 definitely is not faster than the GTX 1070 in basically any game though. With the Fury X it depends on the game, 1070 wins in most games though. I don't really think these types of technologies impact gaming performance too much to my knowledge though. 

Someone on reddit suggested this a build: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/pYGJM8

Wanted a second opinion

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

When you rate performance as just framerate, adaptive sync does nothing.

But when you rate performance as the actual experience, it removes refresh cycles that don't get a new frame, and screen tears when framerate is below max refresh.

Ok well I think I need to read up some more about this. But that does make sense. 

2 minutes ago, CDK2020 said:

Wanted a second opinion

Are you going to do video rendering, 3d modeling or anything similar?

If not, you don't need a 5820K

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Wanted a second opinion

Well if this is for gaming a lot of things should be changed to maximize the budget. First the 5820k is not a very good choice for gaming, the 6600k generally is all you will need but it does depend on your monitor. If you want 144hz at 1080p in some games a quad core CPU like the 6600k can be what could actually hold back your GPU. Not by that much but just thought it's worth mentioning. If you're also gaming the 16 gigabytes of memory also won't be needed in most games. I also wouldn't recommend that SSD, it may be fast but you can get a higher capacity drive for cheaper. The PSU also isn't a very good choice quality wise, The SeaSonic S12II 520 watt unit is a better choice for a similar price point.