16:10 aspect ratio

Mohammad Elokour

is a 16:10 aspect ratio 1920x1200 monitor suitable for gaming ?

i have seem many youtube videos that when gaming on a 16:10 aspect ratio black bars appear on each side !

is it because games do not support that aspect ratio?

i mean there are more pixels therefore a crisper image... or.....?!

Nope, no black bars. I've been gaming on that res since like 2008-9. It's actually better than 1080p for some games, League of Legends for instance.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Some games do support it, like Black Ops 2 for example (only game I can think of now that I have tried on that resolution).

Gaming was alright on that display, but I just don't think it's all that nescecary.

Also, some games do the whole scaling thing differently. Some add more of the game to the sides (or top and bottom in this case) and some just stretch the view.

Interesting video on that:

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

Some games do support it, like Black Ops 2 for example (only game I can think of now that I have tried on that resolution).

Gaming was alright on that display, but I just don't think it's all that nescecary.

Also, some games do the whole scaling thing differently. Some add more of the game to the sides (or top and bottom in this case) and some just stretch the view.

Interesting video on that:

Nah, not true. There are 0 scaling issues. I've played literally TONS of games on my 1920x1200 display and never encountered a game that doesn't support it.

The image actually looks more natural, as 16:9 makes the games more "stretched" horizontally.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

There are no scaling issues. You will see no black bars.

The black bars are in the video because YouTube plays the video at 16:9 when its shot at 16:10. 

That said, the extra 120 pixels don't really make any difference for gaming.