Probably a noob question

Flying_Belgian

Heyo,

So a while ago i built a new pc and just recently i put in a new wireless card wich does support a 5ghz connection

Spoiler

ss+(2016-08-25+at+05.52.28).png

,but I think I am running a 2.4 ghz connection even tho my wireless router is capable of transmitting a 5ghz signal.

The channel my pc is connected too is #11

Spoiler

ss+(2016-08-25+at+05.51.14).png

and if I am not mistaken this is a 2.4 Ghz channel.

Could anyone tell me how i would switch my connection to 5ghz.

(Btw I live in Belgium and my internet provider is telenet.)

Thanks in advance!

Get into your routers setting and choose 5GHz as wi-fi signal frequency.

Edit: to do that type 192.168.0.1 (most likely) into address bar in any internet browser (I'm not sure how much a newbie are you?)

does it support dual band n?

otherwise its wireless A which sucks.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

With dual-band routers like you say you have, they broadcast a seperate network for the 5Ghz connection and the 2.4Ghz network. Both have the same network name with an ending showing their signal (5Ghz is typically the 5Ghz network ending). However, 5Ghz signals are much weaker and have far less range than 2.4Ghz signals. So make sure your pc is close enough to the router to pick up the signal (2-3 rooms away if on the same floor, or in the room above the router if on a higher floor.)

-MadRussian42

I should tell you that 5Ghz does NOT travel any farther an 2.5, but does penetrate walls a LOT easier
there will be some places in your house where 2.5 is better but for closer distances and 1 wall or less 5 should be better

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2016 at 6:00 PM, Verrierr said:

Get into your routers setting and choose 5GHz as wi-fi signal frequency.

Edit: to do that type 192.168.0.1 (most likely) into address bar in any internet browser (I'm not sure how much a newbie are you?)

5 GHz is already enabled in my router settings. 

And I'd say I'm a bit acquainted with networking stuff (like a now some basics but no real deep stuff).

(sry for late answers)

On 8/25/2016 at 6:05 PM, themctipers said:

does it support dual band n?

otherwise its wireless A which sucks.

If I am not mistaken it does support dual band n.

(sry for late answer)

On 8/25/2016 at 6:07 PM, MadRussian42 said:

With dual-band routers like you say you have, they broadcast a seperate network for the 5Ghz connection and the 2.4Ghz network. Both have the same network name with an ending showing their signal (5Ghz is typically the 5Ghz network ending). However, 5Ghz signals are much weaker and have far less range than 2.4Ghz signals. So make sure your pc is close enough to the router to pick up the signal (2-3 rooms away if on the same floor, or in the room above the router if on a higher floor.)

-MadRussian42

I think my range shouldnt be a big problem since my pc is 1 level above the router but my router does not broadcast 2 seperate networks, only 1, even tho 5GHz is turned on in the router settings. Is it possible that you've got one network that broadcast them both somehow?

(sry for late answer)

On 25/08/2016 at 5:52 PM, Flying_Belgian said:

It doesn't work like this. Channels are assigned to specific frequencies all over again for 2.4 GHz and for 5 GHz. You can be on channel 11 of 2.4 GHz and then switch to channel 11 of 5 GHz. They are two different things. Though channel 11 of 5 GHz is apparently not allowed for customer use in most countries.

Easiest way to check for sure which frequency you're on exactly is probably to download WiFi Analyzer app on your smartphone (assuming you own one -_-). There when you slide to the far right screen you can see the specific frequency your router's using. Hope that helps.

@Flying_Belgian Be sure your pc's wireless card supports 5Ghz connectivity, if it doesn't it wouldn't see a 5Ghz network; hence your network not showing up.

59 minutes ago, MadRussian42 said:

@Flying_Belgian Be sure your pc's wireless card supports 5Ghz connectivity, if it doesn't it wouldn't see a 5Ghz network; hence your network not showing up.

Did you even bother to read his starting post?

If your wireless card supports 5 Ghz Freqency then it will be able to both see 2.4 Ghz networks and 5 Ghz networks,it depends on the type of the card as well but thats the case with most of them.Now what you should do is first of all go to cmd type "ipconfig"  and see the local ip adress of your default gateway.Most likely something around 192.168.x.x with the last x being always 1 but make sure you have it right.Next go to a browser like the one your using now and type this adress in the url bar this will take you to your routers web interface after that login with the credentials  provided by your router manufacturer (in most cases in a label or a sticker under your router username:x password:x)  then go to your setting for the wireless acess point and choose the 5ghz option that should do the trick.

On 9/3/2016 at 6:05 PM, Flying_Belgian said:

5 GHz is already enabled in my router settings. 

And I'd say I'm a bit acquainted with networking stuff (like a now some basics but no real deep stuff).

(sry for late answers)

Do you have one SSID name for both frequencies?

Perhaps try different SSID names for different frequencies and see if you get both networks to show up separately?

Could we get a screenshot of your router wifi config?

On 25-8-2016 at 5:52 PM, Flying_Belgian said:

Heyo,

So a while ago i built a new pc and just recently i put in a new wireless card wich does support a 5ghz connection

Reveal hidden contents

ss+(2016-08-25+at+05.52.28).png

,but I think I am running a 2.4 ghz connection even tho my wireless router is capable of transmitting a 5ghz signal.

The channel my pc is connected too is #11

Reveal hidden contents

ss+(2016-08-25+at+05.51.14).png

Could anyone tell me how i would switch my connection to 5ghz.

(Btw I live in Belgium and my internet provider is telenet.)

Thanks in advance!

i live in belgium, same provider and their routers say2.4 and5Ghz but i did ned to deactivate the 2.4ghz to get it to work, makes sence right :/ (telenet heeft rot routers man).

I  bought a dualband asus router, and use the 2.4 and5GHz on that+ build in ''nas'' feature

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

18 hours ago, malon said:

i live in belgium, same provider and their routers say2.4 and5Ghz but i did ned to deactivate the 2.4ghz to get it to work, makes sence right :/ (telenet heeft rot routers man).

I  bought a dualband asus router, and use the 2.4 and5GHz on that+ build in ''nas'' feature

Hmmm so now that you have got the dualband router do both of the frequencies work (I'd still like to keep the 5ghz one because i have some older devices in the house that dont support 5 ghz.)? Because i still have a Fritz Box somewhere in my house from when Fritz used to be my provider and i am sure that that router is dualband (FRITZ!BOX 7490).

18 hours ago, U.Ho said:

Do you have one SSID name for both frequencies?

Perhaps try different SSID names for different frequencies and see if you get both networks to show up separately?

Could we get a screenshot of your router wifi config?

I do not have different names and I dont really see an option to change the name(s) for the different frequency .

Here is a screenshot, it is in dutch tho (cant change the language of that :/ ) .

Spoiler

Screen+Shot+2016-09-07+at+07.13.57.png

1 hour ago, Flying_Belgian said:

Hmmm so now that you have got the dualband router do both of the frequencies work (I'd still like to keep the 5ghz one because i have some older devices in the house that dont support 5 ghz.)? Because i still have a Fritz Box somewhere in my house from when Fritz used to be my provider and i am sure that that router is dualband (FRITZ!BOX 7490).

Both frequencies work for me on the dualband router, its realy some weird issue /"feature"with the telenet router that prevents both fromworking at the same tine

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

Well if you have a ftitz box then you can easilly connect the 5ghz router to give fritzgbox internet acess and then create a wireless ap from the fritz box 2.4 you dont need a second adsl modem.Just establish your main router in 5ghz and test your connection after that we can see if your fritz box can be alternated to set a stastic ip(disable dhcp server on ethernet ports) or dhcpd client and create the acess point.