RAM Upgrade Questions

Hey guys!

So I have an ASUS K43SJ (way back from 2011) from my cousin.

It's specs are (in my POV or financial status, I guess) are pretty decent or at least good enough to keep me going in school:

Intel Core i3 2330m @ 2.20GHz 

DDR3 2GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M 1GB

I can't really buy a new laptop right now (since I can't afford one), and I just have it some thought and searched around the web and realized that 2 GB of RAM is just too little nowadays.

I'm a Fine Arts, Studio Arts student. My course doesn't really focus too much on Digital Art but recently I enrolled in a class that involves Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and even Flash.

I'm planning on buying more RAM for my laptop, I know it's not the best specs, but it's pretty decent enough for me right now. I can render videos and photos okay but probably a bit slow compared to others.

I just wanted to know what are the necessary info that I need to know in upgrading my RAM. For one, I do know that I need to meet the right kind of socket type (I think?) and the right frequency, but I haven't really found a website that explained it to me properly and the local computer shops here (from the Philippines btw) just keep reminding me of how old my laptop is.

Hoping to get some answers, thanks!

as far as i remember, you just need the right socket and the correct size of ram (lower or equal to the maximum amount of ram supported). the socket would in this case be DDR3

4k the dream

Aside from the RAM, consider adding a SSD to your laptop, if you find the money for it.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

41 minutes ago, Doh007 said:

as far as i remember, you just need the right socket and the correct size of ram (lower or equal to the maximum amount of ram supported). the socket would in this case be DDR3

Oh, what about that whole correct RAM frequency thing or else it won't work?

26 minutes ago, vojta.pokorny said:

Aside from the RAM, consider adding a SSD to your laptop, if you find the money for it.

I might do that too, thanks :)

4 minutes ago, SomeSayElijah said:

Oh, what about that whole correct RAM frequency thing or else it won't work?

I might do that too, thanks :)

any frequency should do, the thing to maybe look out for would be the timings. for example, a RAM stick has a specification that says something along the lines of "9-9-20" or some row of numbers. generally, lower numbers here means faster RAM.

4k the dream

• 2 weeks later...

Ok thanks

Anyone else have something to say? Still open to different opinions :)