What are my options?

Gould-Digger

So I built my PC in late 2012/early 2013 and it's never been upgraded. It consists of the following;

• CPU
    Intel® Core™ i5-3330 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.20 GHz)
  • RAM
    Crucial 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
  • GPU
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC 2GB
  • Storage
    Western Digital 1TB Green
  • PSU
    Corsair CX500
  •  

What are my upgrade options here in 2016? I'm not a hardcore gamer as you can expect from my 'rig' xD But I would like to start playing some upcoming titles such as mafia III and Planet coaster. I'm worried my machine won't keep up with new titles. I know GTA 5 is very un-optimised for PC and I do get 60fps on real low settings, but I'd like a little more than just low.

Also my screen is only 1080p 

RX 460, RX 470, or GTX 1060 3gb. Choose your poison gold digger.

Edited by iLoiter
Spoiler

CPU: i7 5930k  |  Motherboard: EVGA X99 Classified  |  RAM: 32 GB Crucial DDR4  |  GPU:  R9 290 Reference Tri-Crossfire w/Kraken g10 mod  | Case: Corsair 780t  |  Storage: Sandisk 960GB SSD, Crucial 960GB SSD, 128GB Sandisk SSD, Seagate 2TB Hard Drive, Seagate Archive Drive 8TB, HGST Deskstar 4TB  |  PSU: Rosewill Gold Lightning-1300, Display(s): Nixeus Vue 24"144Hz FreeSync, 50in TV, Yiynova MVP22U(V3) Tablet Monitor w/ Mechanical Arm  |  Cooling: Cosair H55, H105, 2*Kraken X41  |  Keyboard:  Rosewill Mechanical Brown Keyboard| Mouse: MX Master, G602  | Sound:  Sennheiser HD 700, Westone W40, SoundBlaster e5, Fiio e18

Depends on your budget - on how much you are willing to spend.

If you only want a slight upgrade the quickest way is to get a 1060 for 250$.

33 minutes ago, Kuri said:

Depends on your budget - on how much you are willing to spend.

Around £200 ($250) - £250 ($325)

PCPartPicker part list

Storage: PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£54.65 @ CCL Computers) 
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition Video Card  (£188.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Total: £243.64

or

PCPartPicker part list

Storage: PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£54.65 @ CCL Computers) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 470 4GB NITRO+ Video Card  (£188.16 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Total: £242.81

970 vs RX 470 comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGqVFSH2hMo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNNRGH3gMvg

I'd personally go with the 970.

• Quote people's post else they won't know you replied.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

Logitech G102 | Corsair K70 MX Brown | HyperX Cloud

9 hours ago, Gould-Digger said:

~snip~

Hey there :)

A couple of notes from me:

- there are websites that check the performance of your system and compare it to a specific game's demands and can easily tell you which parts need upgrading and which are good for now. Since you are going for gaming purposes I would suggest to focus on the GPU first and then check if the CPU bottlenecks your performance and if you could use more memory. 

- another great upgrade would be adding a SSD to your system for the OS as this would make a huge impact on the responsiveness, boot/loading times and the overall performance of your system. Though gaming generally doesn't rely on the storage's performance for anything else but the loading times (FPS and graphics are not affected) you would get much shorter loading times on the games installed on the SSD. Some games that are MMOs or Open World may have their surrounding textures load faster or smoother but again that won't affect your FPS nor the textures' quality. 

Since that WD Green has some years behind it I would check its health just to be on the safe side that it is performing properly and your data on it is still safe. Running WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic and checking if the drive passes both the quick and the extended tests should do the trick.  

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/