USB 3.1 Gen 1 to USB 3.0

Seran

If my motherboard has two internal USB 3.1 Gen 1 connectors, but my case has regular USB 3.0 ports on the front, can I still connect them or will it not work? And if it will work, will it run at the speed of a 3.0 port or a 3.1 Gen 1 port?

just a heads up. USB 3.1 gen 1 IS usb 3.0.

USB 3.1 gen 2 is the actual increase in speed

but to answer your question yes! you can use any type of USB with any other, it'll just operate at the speed of the slowest link in the chain.

1 minute ago, Thread212 said:

Aahaha..
USB 3 GEN 1 is USB 3.0.
USB 3 GEN 2 is the real USB 3.1

dont be tricked by gimmick.

1 minute ago, Beeeyeee said:

just a heads up. USB 3.1 gen 1 IS usb 3.0.

USB 3.1 gen 2 is the actual increase in speed

but to answer your question yes! you can use any type of USB with any other, it'll just operate at the speed of the slowest link in the chain.

Ah. Thank you for the answers! Luckily I have two USB 3 Gen 2 ports on the back if I need the higher speed. So is there any difference at all between USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 Gen 1? My motherboard supposedly has 2 x Gen 2, 6 x Gen 1 and 4 x 3.0. Is it purely a marketing trick and its actually just 2 x Gen 2 and 10 x Gen 1?

Just now, Seran said:

Ah. Thank you for the answers! Luckily I have two USB 3 Gen 2 ports on the back if I need the higher speed. So is there any difference at all between USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 Gen 1? My motherboard supposedly has 2 x Gen 2, 6 x Gen 1 and 4 x 3.0. Is it purely a marketing trick and its actually just 2 x Gen 2 and 10 x Gen 1?

its a "revision" that really didn't change anything. it was literally just supposed to be USB 3.1 a slight revision that didn't affect too much. but then someone went and made USB 3.0 faster and called it USB 3.1 which screwed everybody up. so now manufacturers use it as marketing sometimes. its really stupid. it should be called USB 3.2 or something! haha