Pulled the trigger on a Sennheiser HD 650, worth it for gaming?

leandroestacio

I'm to a point where I don't know if I should cancel my order and get a dedicated gaming headset or keep them and buy all the extras that is needed to enjoy it's fully potential. I wanted to get a Astro headset, but people keep telling me that I should buy a headphone and a mix amp separated to achieve the best quality possible. But my main concern is that these headphones (Sennheiser HD's) are great for music and not so much for gaming, Im more concern in being able to tell foot steps, helicopters, pin point where things are happening, than sound quality, as I'm not sure if I'll be able to tell the difference between normal quality to good quality sound. I'm not to pick about sound, maybe because I never had a good pair of headphones, my current is a Logitech G35. 

Is the HD 650's able to emulate surround sound? Also now is seen that I need to buy a amp / dac to drive this headphone which it will cost even more. I paid 300 for the 650 and willing to spend 200 more if necessary. Can I achieve good sound with that budget? 

for me when i game i dont care about sound quality. i only care about if your having fun in the game or not. so id say no jut buy a decently priced headset and call it a day 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Any headphone can produce a 3D sound (which is what you want), the content simply needs to support it. From the cheap €5 earphones to the Sennheiser Orpheus. Obviously one will sound and feel much better then the other. HD650 are good headphones to get the best quality audio quality possible you need decent headphones, DAC and a headphone amp to drive those headphones.

That said, I don't think your need requires a HD650 + DAC/amp + external microphone. I'd say cancel the order and get a high quality gaming headset from a reputable audio company like the Sennheiser One or ATH-PDG1. Or any good headphone that doesn't need an amp with a Modmic.

Get this headphone instead, add a mod mic if you need a mic

AKG k702 - Known for large and accurate sound stage (Only need 62 ohms amp not required)

https://www.amazon.com/AKG-Pro-Audio-K702-Headphones/dp/B001RCD2DW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471791959&sr=8-1&keywords=k702

Mod Mic

https://www.amazon.com/Antlion-Audio-ModMic-Attachable-Microphone/dp/B00T6XUL8S

Spoiler

CPU: i7 5930k  |  Motherboard: EVGA X99 Classified  |  RAM: 32 GB Crucial DDR4  |  GPU:  R9 290 Reference Tri-Crossfire w/Kraken g10 mod  | Case: Corsair 780t  |  Storage: Sandisk 960GB SSD, Crucial 960GB SSD, 128GB Sandisk SSD, Seagate 2TB Hard Drive, Seagate Archive Drive 8TB, HGST Deskstar 4TB  |  PSU: Rosewill Gold Lightning-1300, Display(s): Nixeus Vue 24"144Hz FreeSync, 50in TV, Yiynova MVP22U(V3) Tablet Monitor w/ Mechanical Arm  |  Cooling: Cosair H55, H105, 2*Kraken X41  |  Keyboard:  Rosewill Mechanical Brown Keyboard| Mouse: MX Master, G602  | Sound:  Sennheiser HD 700, Westone W40, SoundBlaster e5, Fiio e18

If the once who made the game, did there job, so will a good headset make a difference in your experience.

But the HD 650 is designed for being a good reference headset, which is what they are known for. So if you are mixing audio or need to check the sound quality of your video, they are great, same for listening to music and watching video. For gaming so are they not the best.

Take a look here instead: http://en-us.sennheiser.com/pc-gaming-headset

They should be cheaper as well.

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

Pestonally use the HD600 for gaming but then again i also listen to lots ofmusic and watch a good amount of movies with thise for audio, but just for gaming it is a bit to expensive, but in gaming i have no problems with hearing enemies 

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

Thank you all for all the input. What I take from the comments is that the HD 650 is overkill for my needs and wont be much of difference in sound quality for gaming. That's one step closer for me to cancelling the order. I place the order on Adorama and it's the first time I ordered from them and they still have not shipped it yet, so I think they will process it tomorrow, so I still have until tonight to cancel it. If order goes through is seen that I have 30 days to return it, but will pay shipping fees. 

I really wanted to try the HD 650 because of the so many great reviews it gets every where. It must be good lol.. every shopping website reviews are 4.5+ stars, but the difference in price is almost double for the performance I'll be getting. And yes I would need a separate mic as well so there will be another $50. 

If I have to get an amp, what is the cheaper best amp that will do a good job on drive them? I mean I want something not so crazy expensive but that can do the job right. I'm trying to figure total final cost, and see if I really want to spare the extra cash, just for the sake of trying something different. 

Also I have a GA-Z170X-Gaming GT which have Creative SoundCore™ 3D Gaming Audio, will that help at all? 

4 hours ago, leandroestacio said:

Also I have a GA-Z170X-Gaming GT which have Creative SoundCore™ 3D Gaming Audio, will that help at all? 

Probably make things worse.

As for an amp, Magni 2 if you really think you need one.