Mains Voltage

mvinc17

I'll start with the events of the morning;

The lights brighten, my UPSs (multiple UPS) start humming away and their obnoxious cooling fans go to full throttle. Why you ask? Well, my power company, Ergon Energy, cannot supply the right voltage to my street. Around 18 months ago, Ergon put a transformer at the end of my street to boost the line voltage, because prior to this, it was sitting around 210 volts. After putting in the aforementioned transformer, it decided that it was going to explode, and proceeded to do so, on a Sunday morning at 5 AM. Ergon came, pulled down the 75 KVA transformer, and put in a 100 KVA transformer. This was 1 week ago, and, ever since then, my mains voltage has been between 247 and 259 volts when it is supposed to be between 220 and 240 volts, not 259.

So, my question...

Has anybody else ever had a gross over voltage of the mains? Where? and after what (if any) change?

Intel Core i7 3930k @ Stock    Corsair H80i    Zalman z11 Plus    16GB Corsair Memory     nVidia GeForce GTX 680 4GB     nVidia GeForce GTX 650Ti (PhysX, was a spare card)

Samsung 840 Series 120GB   Corsair Force 3 60GB    2 X 1TB WD Black    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit / Mac OSX 10.8.3

Keyboard: Razar Black Widow Ultimate 2013    Mouse: Razar Deathadder 2013    Monitor(s): 2x BenQ GW2250 + LG Flatron E2211 + Generic GVA Aux Display / TV Speakers: Logitech z506 + 300w Sub

Well I've never had this happen to me, but it can't be good... Many electrical componants such as your standard 3 pin plug, are rated to 250 volts. Another thing is, whilst I'm no expert transformers in your house, eg PSU or ups devices may possibly output more, unless it is digitally controlled somehow. Like I said I am no expert, but there is a potential that appliances are not rated for yourincoming voltage. You should probably get intouch with the company dealing with this and notify them of your finds...

OnePlus 6T

I am pritty lucky only a couple of brown outs, dave from EEVblog said in one video he gets high power i think he said 247.

259 is crazy your going to start burning stuff out quick .... mains board wont like it either

Its all about those volumetric clouds