The thing no one talks about

Shubham Yadav

Hi guys, 

With the launch of polaris and pascal, we also got new codec support with 10 and 12-bit HEVC fixed function playback upto 4k and HDR video support. So I was wondering if there is an HEVC video on my system, will it be decoded using CPU or GPU and how to know that? 

My system is below(signature) and both my CPU and GPU support HEVC playback. However, if I run a 10-bit HEVC video, the CPU can't play it in hardware, so will it use the intel's hybrid decoder or give the job to GPU which can do it in hardware? Also how to check any of this? 

I'm quite surprised no one talks about these new features, since they are kind of a big deal. HEVC or H.265 is getting common really fast and it won't take long before people will start getting issues from playback of these formats. Not to mention content creators who will get a big boost from the efficiency increase of H.265 over H.264 in terms of higher quality at same file size.

Home PC: i5 6402P | Kingston HyperX 8GBx2 | Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 1060 | Kingston UV400 240GB | WD blue 1TB Gigabyte H110m-S2 Cooler Master B500 v2

Laptop: Lenovo Yoga 710(Kaby Lake)

Phone: Oneplus 3

Tablet: iPad air 2

I so far haven't seen much in the way of hardware HEVC support from Nvidia's drivers and AMDs VCE stuff is still experimental. I am really interested in encoding gameplay in h265 to save space and ideally upload to youtube but I can see I don't currently have hardware decode in my NLE so its not practical at this point. No one is talking about it because its not really out yet, its in the hardware but the software support isn't there.

1 minute ago, rrubberr said:

Youtube doesn't support h.265, and of all people, they'd be most interested in it for the potential bandwidth savings. 

The problem is they have their own codec in VP9 and so they aren't really interested in adopting H265. But the reality is the hardware is going to support h265 and not VP9 in the future so that is what they need to adopt and its just a pain in the mean time re-encoding to that if you want the top quality for the least upload with ffmpeg.