Can the Asus H110M-A Bottleneck an i5 CPU ?

Ok, so a friend an I were shopping for all the parts for my friend's first gaming PC.

He choosed an i3 6100 and the Asus H110M-A to be his mobo since he wanted a skylake "budget" rig. At some point, the salesman told us that if my friend wanted to upgrade his CPU for an i5 in the future he will need to buy a better motherboard since the H110M-A will bottleneck the new CPU.

Is that true? Can a low-end motherboard bottleneck a CPU?

he's trying to bullshit you so that you'll come back and spend unnecessary money, motherboards don't bottleneck cpus(unless its a non-z170 with an k-series cpu). i'd buy the parts somewhere else with better ethics imo.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

not at all. all sockets are the same. it just lacks some features like a few more expansion slots if you get another gpu or pcie ssd, usb header, and overclocking if you upgrade to a k series cpu, but thats about it. the keyword here is salesman, meaning hes trying to get more sales and spouting bs to do so

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

I agree with the guy above, motherboard has little to no difference IF you had a overclockable CPU. The bullshit is real.

Spoiler

CPU: i7 5930k  |  Motherboard: EVGA X99 Classified  |  RAM: 32 GB Crucial DDR4  |  GPU:  R9 290 Reference Tri-Crossfire w/Kraken g10 mod  | Case: Corsair 780t  |  Storage: Sandisk 960GB SSD, Crucial 960GB SSD, 128GB Sandisk SSD, Seagate 2TB Hard Drive, Seagate Archive Drive 8TB, HGST Deskstar 4TB  |  PSU: Rosewill Gold Lightning-1300, Display(s): Nixeus Vue 24"144Hz FreeSync, 50in TV, Yiynova MVP22U(V3) Tablet Monitor w/ Mechanical Arm  |  Cooling: Cosair H55, H105, 2*Kraken X41  |  Keyboard:  Rosewill Mechanical Brown Keyboard| Mouse: MX Master, G602  | Sound:  Sennheiser HD 700, Westone W40, SoundBlaster e5, Fiio e18

motherboards dont affect FPS, unless something is wrong with them then it will. one time my p35 board had a bad power delivery so the CPU was not getting enough volts so all the games i played it would have a board bottleneck since something was broken in the power delivery system of that board. otherwise if it wasnt busted then the board is NOT a bottleneck. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

That guy is so stupid he should be fired.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 minute ago, tmcclelland455 said:

That guy is so stupid he should be fired.

sadly its what people have to do in marketing... the frys electronics i work all the sales reps dont know jack shit and if they do they just scam people with a smile on their face just for the extra commissions they get off it 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Just now, glitchmaster0001 said:

sadly its what people have to do in marketing... the frys electronics i work all the sales reps dont know jack shit and if they do they just scam people with a smile on their face just for the extra commissions they get off it 

So incredibly true it's sad.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

6 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

So incredibly true it's sad.

thats why when i work there im always honest. even if that means i dont get the commissions bonus. then other people recommend me whenever they come to the frys i work at and look for me for advice and consultant. though i plan to quit soon since the work ethics there is just horrible. i cannot take part in this unethical business practices since management wont do shit about it and they actually ENCOURAGE and tell us to do these shady practices too. 

Thank you so much for all your help.

The sad thing in this story is that the salesman is a friend of mine.

The nice thing is that since he is a friend he gave us a good discount on all the hardware we bought :P

If i press space bar on keyboard my motherboard become Chernobyl and bottleneck nature.