Modem/Router & Router VS Modem & Router?

Medusa

Which is better: having a modem/router device with an additional router or having a modem and router? 

I currently have a modem/router that's connected to my Netgear router and so far it's been sub par. There are too many people using the internet in my home so I need to upgrade the equipment. Would it be more beneficial to have a modem/router or just a modem. Which will give me better speeds? 

If you need the specifics like what I currently have or what I am planning to buy let me know and I'll update this post. 

Edit:

If I went with the Modem + Router option here is what I would buy: 

Modem: NETGEAR DOCSIS 3.0 High Speed Cable Modem (CM600)

Router: NETGEAR Nighthawk® X8 AC5300 Tri-Band Quad-Stream WiFi Router (R8500)

If I went with the Modem/Router option I would have went with this: 

Modem/Router: NETGEAR AC1750 WiFi DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Router (C6300)

Having multiple routing devices on a network can cause loads of issues and unnecessary performance loss if they're not set up correctly. Things like double NAT, conflicting DNS servers, DHCP pool overlap and competition (though not all routing issues, they're typically performed by the "router" device in home networks) can be a pain.

Honestly, which solution is better depends on the specific models you'd be comparing, but modem/router + router is pretty much always going to be the worst, or at least the one with the most issues. 

Modern modem/router combos are actually pretty good (not the ISP provided ones, most of the time they're not great), but often don't give you the control you can have with a separate modem and router. 

Personally, I'd go with a decent standalone modem, then get a good router that is compatible with DD-WRT. 

9 minutes ago, Medusa said:

Which is better: having a modem/router device with an additional router or having a modem and router? 

I currently have a modem/router that's connected to my Netgear router and so far it's been sub par. There are too many people using the internet in my home so I need to upgrade the equipment. Would it be more beneficial to have a modem/router or just a modem. Which will give me better speeds? 

If you need the specifics like what I currently have or what I am planning to buy let me know and I'll update this post. 

The best set up is to buy the modem and router seperetly. The combo's limit your choices. Buying seperetly gives you more freedom. It can usually cost more though.

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Having multiple routing devices on a network can cause loads of issues and unnecessary performance loss if they're not set up correctly. 

Honestly, which solution is better depends on the specific models you'd be comparing, but modem/router + router is pretty much always going to be the worst, or at least the one with the most issues. 

Modern modem/router combos are actually pretty good (not the ISP provided ones, most of the time they're not great), but often don't give you the control you can have with a separate modem and router. 

Personally, I'd go with a decent standalone modem, then get a good router that is compatible with DD-WRT. 

If I went with the Modem + Router option here is what I would buy: 

Modem: NETGEAR DOCSIS 3.0 High Speed Cable Modem (CM600)

If I went with the Modem/Router option I would have went with this: 

Modem/Router: NETGEAR AC1750 WiFi DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Router (C6300)

I currently have the Netgear AC1900 and it can't handle the amount of people on it. I really think the X8 could help with that. 

separate modem and router is definitely the better setup and a proper house networking setup.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

I went with the modem and router route. I didn't think have a modem/router combination was beneficial... 

Its more simple and direct. Hopefully it gets me the results I want.