Personal Gaming Rig

whiteGloveReview

Alright, please note that this is a modification/upgrade from a stock OEM computer and as such a lot of the parts are remnants of that OEM computer so I may or may not have a model number for them. If they are from the original computer I will denote it with "OEM" but will list the specs about said part. The original computer was an HP-1214 so feel free to google it to see what i've upgraded from.

Case: OEM - ATX size case, 2 x 3.25" drive cages +1 3.25" cage originally meant for an OEM card reader1, 2 x 5.70" bays meant for CD drives.

Storage:

1. Western Digital 512 GB HDD from a scrap pc from my grandparents, boot drive.2

1. Seagate Barracuda 2000GB HDD from an external HDD, game drive

Motherboard: ECS A960M-MV version 1.0A mATX form factor 3

CPU: OEM AMD FX-6100 @ 3.3GHZ

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB VRAM

RAM: OEM though do to limitations of the mobo I could only install 2 x 4GB modules.

PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ 

Monitors:

1x OEM HP vf15 LED monitor 4 (via DVI-I Dual Link to VGA adapter courtesy of the GTX 970 packaging)

1x Emerson 30" LED TV (via HDMI port)

1x W2070a LCD monitor (via DVI-D Dual Link port)

Keyboard: OEM HP K1500

Mouse: Logitech M525

Alright so to be honest it's not a great system but it's an upgrade from the OEM computer that I was using before. It was originally designed to be a word processing/web browsing compute, so the CPU is slightly old but I find it works fine. PLEASE NOTE, this is my first build and I did so on a budget. That's why my monitors are a mishmash of different displays; I really only had the budget to upgrade the GPU and the PSU. Later down the road I will upgrade again, but only when I have the budget to comfortably do so. I made compromises due to the budget as I'm not drowning in cash. This is why a lot of these parts are either OEM, traded, or scavenged from different computers.

Since I don't use anything past USB drives i saw no point in keeping them.

2 Original OS was Vista lol

3 Courtesy of the forum's own @asand1 for a trade of my old OEM motherboard.

4 This was a monitor that came from an old Win XP computer so it's 4:3 but it functions

Spoiler

IMG_20160818_165331709.jpg 

external view of the case

IMG_20160818_165448946.jpg

Internal view of the case.

IMG_20160818_165458727.jpg

closeup of the motherboard

IMG_20160818_165503532.jpg

Closeup of the GPU

IMG_20160818_165513865.jpg

Closeup of the two HDD's

Mmmmm...sleeper's build...I like  it ;) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Mmmmm...sleeper's build...I like  it ;) 

sorry sleeper's build?

8 minutes ago, whiteGloveReview said:

sorry sleeper's build?

New hardware in ancient case.

Just now, srmarkovic said:

New hardware in ancient case.

well "new" is a relative term really but eh, new enough

Any pics all buttoned with the front plastic on?

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

Just now, asand1 said:

Any pics all buttoned with the front plastic on?

not a fan of the front plastic i think there's some sorta industrial look that goes on with the raw front metal exposed, the plastic is that super glossy black plastic that shows fingerprints super easy and such too.

I have a pretty cool (IMHO) sleeper case I think I'll put your/my motherboard in. Think Pentium 4/Windows 2000 machine. I'll snap a pic and start my own thread.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

You might think about pulling the side panels and DVD-ROM off, masking the mobo and stuff off with news paper, and spray painting the front flat black. You might also be able to pick up a mesh blanking plate for the other bay.

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;

Just now, asand1 said:

I have a pretty cool (IMHO) sleeper case I think I'll put your/my motherboard in. Think Pentium 4/Windows 2000 machine. I'll snap a pic and start my own thread.

sounds cool i'd love to see it (btw sorry for the delays, by the time we're able to send the package lately the post office has shut down.

1 minute ago, asand1 said:

You might think about pulling the side panels and DVD-ROM off, masking the mobo and stuff off with news paper, and spray painting the front flat black. You might also be able to pick up a mesh blanking plate for the other bay.

this is a good idea but i'm not too dreadfully worried about it. i'm more of a function over form type of person really. besides its not like i'm looking at the case too often really.

9 hours ago, whiteGloveReview said:

~snip~

Hey there :)

Great job that you've done. A couple of suggestions from me:

- try to manage your cables a bit so they don't get in the way of the fans or produce any abnormal sounds or vibrations. 

- since you are reusing old storage drives I would strongly recommend running a diagnostic tools from the manufacturers in order to verify that the drives are still healthy and in good-enough condition to hold your data. For the WD drive that would be WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic. Check if the drive passes both the quick and the extended tests.

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

1 minute ago, Captain_WD said:

Hey there :)

Great job that you've done. A couple of suggestions from me:

- try to manage your cables a bit so they don't get in the way of the fans or produce any abnormal sounds or vibrations. 

- since you are reusing old storage drives I would strongly recommend running a diagnostic tools from the manufacturers in order to verify that the drives are still healthy and in good-enough condition to hold your data. For the WD drive that would be WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic. Check if the drive passes both the quick and the extended tests.

Captain_WD. 

thanks for the response and i'm rather anal about my data and take special precaution w/ my data to make sure everything's functioning within tolerances.

1 hour ago, whiteGloveReview said:

~snip~

Kudos for being careful with your important data. Are you using any backups? Are the drives in good health? What's the WD drive's model? 

Bare in mind that failures do happen for one reason or another so having an extra copy of the data you don't want to lose never hurts! 

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

1 minute ago, Captain_WD said:

Kudos for being careful with your important data. Are you using any backups? Are the drives in good health? What's the WD drive's model? 

Bare in mind that failures do happen for one reason or another so having an extra copy of the data you don't want to lose never hurts! 

Captain_WD. 

Currently no backups from a lack of financing to invest in such things, as for the model it is a WD 5000AAKS-65A7B0. As I stated in my original post it was salvaged from an old Vista machine so yes I should have a backup just because of the age of the machine but as budget is concerned, that's not a viable option at the moment but later down the road I will invest in a NAS or something along the lines of such.

6 minutes ago, whiteGloveReview said:

~snip~

If that WD Blue passes both WD DLG tests it should be good to store data. 

Let me know if you need help with backup solutions or suggestions on how to do this later on. :)

Captain_WD. 

Just now, Captain_WD said:

If that WD Blue passes both WD DLG tests it should be good to store data. 

Let me know if you need help with backup solutions or suggestions on how to do this later on. :)

Captain_WD. 

I appreciate the fast responses and help, i'll happily take you up on your offer later down the line