iar cooling for s340? (rendering server usecase)

1832vin

hi, i'm looking to build a atx build for rendering and i plan on running it 24/7 for at least 6+ years, so lquid cooling is not an option, well, kinda 24/7 because i render at least 20 hours per day....

i'm gonna overclock my 5280k, but despite it, i had to go with the s340 case due to the smaller size as i don't have much space left on top of my desk

i was originally going to buy the d14 se2011, but it was discontinued, and the d15's height is 4mm too high.....

what reliable cooler do you recomend? (remind you, the is a 90W part)

1 minute ago, 1832vin said:

hi, i'm looking to build a atx build for rendering and i plan on running it 24/7 for at least 6+ years, so lquid cooling is not an option, well, kinda 24/7 because i render at least 20 hours per day....

i'm gonna overclock my 5280k, but despite it, i had to go with the s340 case due to the smaller size as i don't have much space left on top of my desk

i was originally going to buy the d14 se2011, but it was discontinued, and the d15's height is 4mm too high.....

what reliable cooler do you recomend? (remind you, the is a 90W part)

Something from cryorig, notably the R1 (both versions, depends on the RAM).

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

9 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Something from cryorig, notably the R1 (both versions, depends on the RAM).

from a quick google, i'm backing this one.

something i like to see especially on the big towercoolers is some "viewable" spacing between the plates of the heatsink because reasons:

- slower building up of dust

- less impact of dust buildup

- easier cleanup.

i have the be quiet dark rock advanced C1, and the fins are about as packed together as they can be without dust being stupidly hard to clean:

bk014_w_l_2.jpg&width=570

they claim a max tdp of 120 watts on this thing, but sadly it's been getting increasingly harder to find (i guess it's being phased out in trade for the dark rock 3) and i doubt you'll have a 120 watt chip running happy under this thing.

do yourself (and your chip) a favor and get a nice big dual-tower cooler.

also, have you considered noctua's D15S?

http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15s

it's basicly a D15, but packed down as tightly as they could, with the added bonus of the fan being lower, which will help keeping the VRMs provided with airflow, especially a noteworthy feature for long-term high workloads.

7301_99_noctua-nh-d15s-cpu-cooler-review

40 minutes ago, manikyath said:

also, have you considered noctua's D15S?

http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15s

it's basicly a D15, but packed down as tightly as they could, with the added bonus of the fan being lower, which will help keeping the VRMs provided with airflow, especially a noteworthy feature for long-term high workloads.

The fan is just on clips and can be raised or lowered already on the NH-D15 and the same applies to most tower heatsinks. Either would fit in the S340 with the fans lowered.

The NH-D15S isn't any packed any more tightly. The towers are just offset to not block ram and the first pci slot. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

8 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The fan is just on clips and can be raised or lowered already on the NH-D15 and the same applies to most tower heatsinks. Either would fit in the S340 with the fans lowered.

The NH-D15S isn't any packed any more tightly. The towers are just offset to not block ram and the first pci slot. 

the towers look to be slightly lower, may just be me tho.

EDIT: nope, you're right. i'm just blind again :P

10 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

can i ask how high is the actual tower without the fans?  because i will not be using any high profile ram (infact, they don't even have heat sinks)

and i'm considering d15s now, but it has 1 fan less...  which fan should it be that i have to buy?

9 hours ago, 1832vin said:

can i ask how high is the actual tower without the fans?  because i will not be using any high profile ram (infact, they don't even have heat sinks)

and i'm considering d15s now, but it has 1 fan less...  which fan should it be that i have to buy?

Both heatsinks are 160mm tall. The only difference between the two is that the towers are offset, there's one less fan, and that fan is 1200rpm as opposed to 1500rpm. Having one less fan doesn't reduce performance by much unless you're running the fan at very low speeds. 

You should go with whichever is the better value.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.