Portable Gaming Rig

atiq666

Hi

I am building a new rig for myself. I need portability and laptops are not good enough for me as they cost a lot and I am a student. I was doing some research and figured if I build my PC inside Fractal Design Node 202 I can carry it inside my suitcase anywhere I feel like.

For my rig I am choosing the following parts.

CPU: intel i5 6600K

Ram: HyperX fury DDR4 2400Mhz

GPU: evga superclocked GTX 1060

case and PSU: Fractal design Node 202 with 450 watt PSU

Mobo: Asus Z170I or B150I

Storage: 240GB SSD from kingston V300 prolly

Portable Monitor: maybe from Asus or GeChic

So I have a few questions!!

1. What do you think about my build? This will be my first PC so I might not have chose the right parts. feel free to post your suggestions!! :)

2. secondly i was doing some research regarding the monitor. If i take the Z170I mobo i will have to use HDMI to power my monitor (so I will have to go for GeChic monitor as Asus doesnt have any HDMI monitor). If i buy B150L it comes with Usb type C which can power the monitor from Asus (GeChic doesnt have usb type C).

I am not understanding the main difference between these two motherboards as they seem to be fairly similar and there are a few things that I am not understanding.

B150I mobo: https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/B150I-PRO-GAMING-WIFI-AURA/

Z170I mobo: https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/Z170I-PRO-GAMING/

I am quoting from the page where you can compare the mobos

what does this mean?

Z170I has  ASUS Dual Intelligent Processors 5-Way Optimization by Dual Intelligent Processors 5 :
- 5-Way Optimization tuning key perfectly consolidates TPU, EPU, DIGI+ VRM, Fan Xpert 2+, and Turbo App

and  ASUS TPU :
- Auto Tuning
- TurboV
- GPU Boost 

How these differences stands out from B150I mobo? Please help me with these questions as they are kinda driving me crazy.

Thanls!!

Stick with the B150 or a H170 (just not Z170) motherboard alongside an i5 6500. Airflow is terrible in mini itx cases so you won't get any decent OC with it, especially not with the stock cooler. Try an A-Data SSD too. Otherwise it looks fine. Try using PCPartPicker to organize your list.

Any PC is portable if you want it to be! I have hauled around a full ATX tower with monitors before...

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

6 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Any PC is portable if you want it to be! I have hauled around a full ATX tower with monitors before...

11 minutes ago, atiq666 said:

I can carry it inside my suitcase anywhere I feel like.

Just now, cdsboy2000 said:

Yeah, but I was just adding. Good luck keeping your luggage at a reasonable weight if your flying, OP.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

20 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

Stick with the B150 or a H170 (just not Z170) motherboard alongside an i5 6500. Airflow is terrible in mini itx cases so you won't get any decent OC with it, especially not with the stock cooler. Try an A-Data SSD too. Otherwise it looks fine. Try using PCPartPicker to organize your list.

I am gonna liquid cool the CPU using an all in one liquid cooler from CM. I saw that in a video from youtube. I know I have to cut a portion of metal from my chassis but its for the sake of the processor :D

11 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Yeah, but I was just adding. Good luck keeping your luggage at a reasonable weight if your flying, OP.

yeah I will keep that in my mind as well :D

6 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

...I just built a PC that I can take with me internationally (in a backpack, feel free to look at my build log ;)) and all I'm gonna say is THAT'S THE WORST IDEA EVER! (if flying), Why would you put the PC into the hold? Keep it as carry on luggage no? Less chances for something to break...and les...never mind, OP just stated he's wanting to put an AIO onto that CPU...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, atiq666 said:

I am gonna liquid cool the CPU using an all in one liquid cooler from CM. I saw that in a video from youtube. I know I have to cut a portion of metal from my chassis but its for the sake of the processor :D

Not gonna sway you against it but keep in mind it's minimal benefit for a lot of money and work :P

In that case going Z170 is essential. Try a Z170 Stinger

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/Btp323/evga-motherboard-111sse172kr

21 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

I would love to however I am an international student and I want to keep it compact yet portable and powerful :)

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

...I just built a PC that I can take with me internationally (in a backpack, feel free to look at my build log ;)) and all I'm gonna say is THAT'S THE WORST IDEA EVER! (if flying), Why would you put the PC into the hold? Keep it as carry on luggage no? Less chances for something to break...and les...never mind, OP just stated he's wanting to put an AIO onto that CPU...

When I recently flew (short haul), the hand luggage weight limit was 5KG, which isn't much at all.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

My PC will be inside my hand luggage. I went to samsonite yesterday and I was looking for a bag that is cabin friendly and If I can somehow make it under 8KGs i will be safe (hopefully)

Just now, NinjaJc01 said:

When I recently flew (short haul), the hand luggage weight limit was 5KG, which isn't much at all.

Which airline checks the weight of the hand luggage? I just recently flew internationally...no problems at all with a 13KG backpack on my back...

1 minute ago, atiq666 said:

My PC will be inside my hand luggage. I went to samsonite yesterday and I was looking for a bag that is cabin friendly and If I can somehow make it under 8KGs i will be safe (hopefully)

But...the...liquid...in...the...AIO...Security...no??

6 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

Not gonna sway you against it but keep in mind it's minimal benefit for a lot of money and work :P

In that case going Z170 is essential. Try a Z170 Stinger

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/Btp323/evga-motherboard-111sse172kr

wow me likey! but i would love an M.2 ssd or a USB type C (for hooking up a monitor)

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Which airline checks the weight of the hand luggage? I just recently flew internationally...no problems at all with a 13KG backpack on my back...

3 minutes ago, atiq666 said:

AIO is definitely a really bad idea, especially with the changes in pressure and the vibrations and being thrown around a bit.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

oh bummer!! forgot about that QQ will they notice? the cables are opaque :P

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

It was Norweigian, but they didn't actually check it. Or the size requirements, looking back. Either way.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

Just now, atiq666 said:

oh bummer!! forgot about that QQ will they notice? the cables are opaque :P

Probably...not just probably, they will...

3 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

AIO is definitely a really bad idea, especially with the changes in pressure and the vibrations and being thrown around a bit.

okey maybe i shouldnt think about liquid cooling it for safety purposes

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

Probably...not just probably, they will...

And the changes in pressure could screw with it. As AIOs are sealed, there will probably be air in there that might expand and couldn't escape. Expanding gas in a sealed space might case leaks.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, atiq666 said:

okey maybe i shouldnt think about liquid cooling it for safety purposes

You won't be able to OC the CPU, no matter what (due to the cooler, so go with the B150 motherboard). Don't use USB C for a monitor, especially if you are using a GPU. Look in to using display port for the monitor.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

You won't be able to OC the CPU, no matter what (due to the cooler, so go with the B150 motherboard). Don't use USB C for a monitor, especially if you are using a GPU. Look in to using display port for the monitor.

okey i will keep that in my mind. If I go for a display port monitor then GeChic is my best option as it has HDMI input.

Just now, atiq666 said:

okey i will keep that in my mind. If I go for a display port monitor then GeChic is my best option as it has HDMI input.

Then just use HDMI. What GPU are you thinking of using?

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Then just use HDMI. What GPU are you thinking of using?

GTX 1060 from EVGA Superclocked edition

Just now, atiq666 said:

GTX 1060 from EVGA Superclocked edition

That should be fine, if it has an HDMI port. And the motherboard optimization is just marketing garbage. Both boards have those features I think, or at least the ones that you will use.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler