New To PC Building

Hey Everyone, new to the forums and have been watchin alot of videos on doing your own builds n im planning on ordering all the parts on my list ( http://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vCPVY )

Is there any recommendations u can make on anything I should change or get to make my build go a little smoother..any advice is appreciated :)

to not go with seagate

get a WD Drive (Caviar Blue to be specific)

get a seasonic/xfx/EVGA B2/G2 PSU

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

I would change two things
1) Get a non reference gtx 1080. 

2) Get 4 sticks of 8gb ram instead of 2 16gb

Other then that what kind of monitor do you have? 

4 minutes ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

I would change two things
1) Get a non reference gtx 1080. 

2) Get 4 sticks of 8gb ram instead of 2 16gb

Other then that what kind of monitor do you have? 

I'm gonna work on peripherals after I get the tower built...a friend was telling me to look at a BenQ like he has but I haven't decided yet 

Just now, Und3adTr1ckst3r said:

I'm gonna work on peripherals after I get the tower built...a friend was telling me to look at a BenQ like he has but I haven't decided yet 

If you are getting a 1080, get a 1440p monitor or above. That 1080 is going to bottle neck hard on 1080p

5 minutes ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

If you are getting a 1080, get a 1440p monitor or above. That 1080 is going to bottle neck hard on 1080p

true... but he could use DSR... of course it wont change the resolution but it'll make the picture sharper and He'll still be using the max power of the card (sorta). Still I agree 1440p at least, but it's not needed technically

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]

2 minutes ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

That isn't true. He will just get more fps out of its performance.

The only thing that hasn't been mentioned yet that I would like to add is that you don't need a 750W PSU in that system. save yourself some money and get a 500-600W PSU. Even that is overkill for how power efficient Pascal is. If you want the extra PSU headroom in case you wanna SLI someday then so be it. But with the specs on your current list, 750W is overkill.

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Whats this build being used for?

Gaming currently and then later on I'll be adding a capture card n do some streaming when I'm not working 

Just now, Und3adTr1ckst3r said:

Gaming currently and then later on I'll be adding a capture card n do some streaming when I'm not working 

That sort of workload could likely be done just fine on an i7 6700k and Z170 if you wanted to save yourself some money. But if you want to go X99 anyway then go for it. its your choice.

16 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

That sort of workload could likely be done just fine on an i7 6700k and Z170 if you wanted to save yourself some money. But if you want to go X99 anyway then go for it. its your choice.

Totally agree, but if you ever decide to do more than gaming and streaming, (like rendering/editing/developing or other heavy content creation for instance) X99 is the way to go. But for gaming and steaming Z170 is plenty and it will save you a lot of money. It'll even do light rendering and stuff like that with no sweat

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

29 minutes ago, 007agentHP said:

to not go with seagate

get a WD Drive (Caviar Blue to be specific)

get a seasonic/xfx/EVGA B2/G2 PSU

Seagate drives are perfectly fine.

1 minute ago, lee32uk said:

bad experiences with their Baracuda line. will not recommend them to anyone

i had 3 Drives in a NAS go dead in a year and a half while my 2012 WD BLUE is still going strong with no signs of failiure

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

13 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

yes and they have an incredible warranty, if they do die they'll replace it for many many years. My 2TB SSHD I bought broken from ebay for $42. it still had a replacement warranty to until 2018. I just setup the RMA, mailed it in and a week later had a shiny new SSHD for $42 plus shipping.

I've had problems with all companies. including WD blues dying. All HDDs are hit or miss, as long as it's a good brand name, you have like a 1 in 10000 chance maybe on getting a dud. so brand name and loyalty doesn't matter, just buy what meets your criteria and is a good deal, you'll probably be fine

For advice... DON'T BUILD YOUR PC IN AN UNFINISHED BASEMENT!!! All has been said... Anyway, I recommend building it in a clean place, that is very organized. I also recommend starting the build at an earlier time on a weekend like around 10:00-11:00 AM.

2 minutes ago, 007agentHP said:

bad experiences with their Baracuda line. will not recommend them to anyone

i had 3 Drives in a NAS go dead in a year and a half while my 2012 WD BLUE is still going strong with no signs of failiure

Your experience doesn't mean they are bad though. I am sure there are lots of people who have had similar issues with WD.

1 minute ago, lee32uk said:

Your experience doesn't mean they are bad though. I am sure there are lots of people who have had similar issues with WD.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-for-q2-2015/

http://www.pcgamer.com/ongoing-hard-drive-test-shows-hgst-is-the-most-reliable-brand/

WD shows to consistently be the better HDD makers over segate, while both are behind HGST

Rigs I've Built

7 minutes ago, Willovax said:

For advice... DON'T BUILD YOUR PC IN AN UNFINISHED BASEMENT!!! All has been said... Anyway, I recommend building it in a clean place, that is very organized. I also recommend starting the build at an earlier time on a weekend like around 10:00-11:00 AM.

as long as the area is cleanish and not overly moist there shouldn't be any problems doing it in a basement, I've built PCs in some sketchy places and they all work. You just have to keep it clean and dry. and don't be shuffling your feet on the carpet and touching stuff. I build on the carpet all the time, as long as you're touching the metal case every once and awhile you should be good.

4 minutes ago, 007agentHP said:

I've had 2 HGSTs go bad in the last year (they were oldish... but should've lasted a lot longer than they did)

9 minutes ago, 007agentHP said:

I wouldn't take much notice of Backblaze or PC Gamer. 

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/6028/dispelling-backblaze-s-hdd-reliability-myth-the-real-story-covered/index.html