What to use to speed up load time for games

blindsighted26

I want to speed up my load times for my games and i know a SSD would be good for this but i have about 489GB so would need to save for a Samsung 750GB SSD . I have been looking at the new Seagate SSHD an wanted to know if this really works or would help me in what im looking for ?

Would i notice a difference or is it so small that it not noticeable ? 

Has anyone use one and how good are they ? Are they just as good as a HDD or is it a reasonable step up ?

The games im on about are BF3 BF4(when it come out) Crysis 1 2 3 and others.

This is the drive http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1tb-seagate-st1000dx001-sshd-hybrid-hdd-35-sata-6gb-s-64mb-cache-8ms-oem-ncq

Thanks for any advice and thank for looking 

CPU 5820K @ 4.5Ghz 1.295V,Motherboard Asus X99-S, RAM 16Gb TeamGroup Elite GPU Msi Gtx 780, Case Fractal Design Define R5 , Storage Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 , Samsung 840evo 250Gb, Wd Green 1TB, PSU EVGA 850w G2 ,Cooling Fully Custom Water Cooling Loop Sound Stealseries Wireless H

It will definitely be faster than a traditional hard drive. You could also make your own, you can buy an SSD and use SSD caching technology to cache your existing hard drive.

edit: if you use ssd caching you can have a much larger SSD part, rather than the 8GB that you get with the SSHD

I don't think an SSHD will do much to improve game loading time, because the drive stores your most used data in the solid state part, such as your OS, browser, etc. It wouldn't be able to store multiple large games to be able to open them much quicker.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

I have a 120 Samsung 840 evo as my OS drive 

CPU 5820K @ 4.5Ghz 1.295V,Motherboard Asus X99-S, RAM 16Gb TeamGroup Elite GPU Msi Gtx 780, Case Fractal Design Define R5 , Storage Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 , Samsung 840evo 250Gb, Wd Green 1TB, PSU EVGA 850w G2 ,Cooling Fully Custom Water Cooling Loop Sound Stealseries Wireless H

Velociraptor :P

I cant think of any other drive that is affordable and have lots of storage AND be faster than traditional drive.

This one http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/western-digital-internal-hard-drive-wd5000hhtz

or the one on uk SCAN site   1TB for 160 pounds

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1tb-wd-wd1000dhtz-velociraptor-35-hdd-sata-iii-6gb-s-10000rpm-64mb-cache

ok thanks for the help  :)

I have a single 840 Pro 256GB for some steam games and BF3 + BF4. The rest of my games I just install onto a seperate HDD

I only install my most played games onto SSD like CS, TF2, BF, Dota.

It helps that Steam can be installed onto 2 seperate locations. I have noticed load times are quicker on SSD but it's not like the games on HDD take forever either.

Personally I'd just load the top 3-4 games you play throughout the year onto SSD and the rest just stick em onto HDD

@ thanks for that i for got the steam lets you install to 2 or more places i may just do that thanks again

SSD for the win. Or if you want ultra quick load times RAM disk :)

From a former raptor user I can say that it's quicker than a trad hdd but not by much. Certainly not enough to justify price and capacities. Oh yea, keep in mind those things need good ventilation and are LOUD!!!

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

From a former raptor user I can say that it's quicker than a trad hdd but not by much. Certainly not enough to justify price and capacities. Oh yea, keep in mind those things need good ventilation and are LOUD!!!

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green