Fan Noise

amish

I replaced the stock fans of my radiator with NF-F12s. They seem to be making this noticeable hum, which is quite annoying sometimes. Is it possible to fix it by changing the way they are configured, or is this a property of the fans and the bearing itself?

I have them currently mounted so they are pushing through the radiator exhausting out of the top of the case. They are running at 350rpm according to AI suite. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Spoiler

404PCNotFound - CPU: Core i7-6800K, RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz, Cooler: MasterLiquid Pro 240 + NF-F12s, GPU: Zotac GTX1070 AMP! Extreme, Storage: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, WD Blue 2TB, Case: Phanteks Evolv X, PSU: Corsair HX850i, Peripherals: Ducky Shine 4, Logitech MX Master 2S, Bose QC35

Well, NF-F12's are not the most quiet fans out there. i have two of them on my main intake radiator and they also produce a pretty audible hum.

if you want really silent fans you should look into EK's vardar fans. though imo they look pretty terrible.

1 minute ago, RollinLower said:

Well, NF-F12's are not the most quiet fans out there. i have two of them on my main intake radiator and they also produce a pretty audible hum.

if you want really silent fans you should look into EK's vardar fans. though imo they look pretty terrible.

Don't get me wrong, they are quieter than the fans Cooler Master bundled with the AIO, but I guess I was just hoping for something better than minimal gains for the investment, given the gushing about the noise levels and performance. Thanks for the info though. 

I'm still unsure if a change in the configuration would help though. Push seems to be the "recommended" way of setting them up, if people are to be believed. 

Spoiler

404PCNotFound - CPU: Core i7-6800K, RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz, Cooler: MasterLiquid Pro 240 + NF-F12s, GPU: Zotac GTX1070 AMP! Extreme, Storage: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, WD Blue 2TB, Case: Phanteks Evolv X, PSU: Corsair HX850i, Peripherals: Ducky Shine 4, Logitech MX Master 2S, Bose QC35

18 minutes ago, amish said:

Don't get me wrong, they are quieter than the fans Cooler Master bundled with the AIO, but I guess I was just hoping for something better than minimal gains for the investment, given the gushing about the noise levels and performance. Thanks for the info though. 

I'm still unsure if a change in the configuration would help though. Push seems to be the "recommended" way of setting them up, if people are to be believed. 

Push is indeed recommended. This is because the static pressure is build up un the 'push' side of the fan, which in turn gets the air pushed through a radiator better!

5 hours ago, amish said:

NF-F12's are designed for and perform better when in push.

Are you sure it's the NF-F12's? Does stopping the fans with your hands stop the noise?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

10 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

NF-F12's are designed for and perform better when in push.

Are you sure it's the NF-F12's? Does stopping the fans with your hands stop the noise?

I get the noise with the CPU fans and Pump being the only thing running. I stopped my GPU and Case Fans. The PSU fan is also not running. The noise goes away when I turn the system off. It is either the Pump or the NF-F12s. Stopping them with my hand gets rid of some but not all of the noise. I get the feeling that it might be the pump itself. I guess the fans quietened down to the point where I can hear it.

Is it a good idea for me to go and reduce the Pump "rpm" to below max? The default for the Water Pump seems to be 100% on all the preset profiles.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, amish said:

Is it a good idea for me to go and reduce the Pump "rpm" to below max? The default for the Water Pump seems to be 100% on all the preset profiles.

You can try and see what happens to your temps. Depending on what pump you're using, you can probably look up what you can lower it to. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

9 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

You can try and see what happens to your temps. Depending on what pump you're using, you can probably look up what you can lower it to. 

Alright. I'll try that. FWIW, it is the MasterLiquid Pro 240.  I'll work on the pump speed and see what happens, preliminary results seem to make it look like that might not be the best idea. Thanks anyway!

Spoiler