HELP! purchasing a new monitor

Hello Everybody, yes I have come to the Linus community to give me advice on what monitor will be best with my PC build.

My current PC build

• CPU - i7 4790k
  • GPU - MSI GTX 980
  • RAM - 16GB
  • OS - Windows 10

I have been spending wayyyyyyy too much time this morning freaking out about getting the best experience for what price on a monitor. My budget range is between 300 - 400 dollars. I see all this stuff with G-Sync now and that seems awesome but I see some of those monitors can become very pricey. But when I google certain monitors it says it has G-Sync but I'm not quite sure if they do when i go to the purchase page. My dual monitor setup now is just 2 60hz monitors an asus and a benq. They have served their purpose but it's time to upgrade one. I definitely want a 27" so i can still have a nice side by side look.

Monitors I have researched some today...

• BenQ XL2720Z 27" Widescreen LED Backlit Gaming Monitor
  • LG 34UM67(I know its 60hz but the ultrawide enthused me) also freesync not gsync and i have an nvidia card.
  •  

Yes mostly for gaming, I play low end graphic games such as CSGO, WoW, LoL, survival games (h1z1, shattered skies) alpha/beta early access games that do not always run high fps because their engines are wack haha. I am starting to realize the gsync option probably isn't for me, so thanks for other suggestions, need all the help I can get.

Hoping to get a solid reply so I can order a monitor asap. THANKS EVERYONE!

39 minutes ago, amigetman said:

Not going to worth spending extra for G-sync

it also depends on what you're into, but you missed the sale on a $209 1080p 144hz display for gaming

Are you mostly just gaming?

I'd probably suggest this 28" 4k TN display for $300, good mix for everything at a low price, it'll be pretty solid if you don't need perfect color accuracy or viewing angles, the panel quality should be pretty good still, TN has come a long way

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Rk98TW/aoc-monitor-u2879vf

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Yes mostly for gaming, I play low end graphic games such as CSGO, WoW, LoL, survival games (h1z1, shattered skies) alpha/beta early access games that dont always run high fps because their engines are wack haha. I am starting to realize the gsync option probably isn't for me, so thanks for other suggestions, need all the help I can get.

**** gonna add this section to the main topic ****

Edited by amigetman

13 minutes ago, Tyrosen said:

DELL S2716DG

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4P03RB4788

you can take a look at this one. Its a TN though :( 

I don't know why all free-sync monitor prices just went up, but you can get a free-sync 1440p 144hz IPS display for $550

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sqp323/acer-monitor-xf270hu

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Thanks Streetguru but from what I have read buying free sync would be kind of worthless to be because I run an nvidia GPU

2 minutes ago, amigetman said:

Thanks Streetguru but from what I have read buying free sync would be kind of worthless to be because I run an nvidia GPU

The monitor will work fine regaurdless, and you could always upgrade to Vega later in the year to run AAA games at 4k and get the benefit of free-sync, or just something else in a year or 2

But ya you can easily run those games at 4k no problem with a 980, so I'd probably get the 4k display

If your monitor uses display port you can use DSR to see what 4k would look like at 27"

I have a 24" display and with 4k on it, it's small but I could probably live with 27/28" no problem with 4k

Here's a much weaker PC than what you have running games like that at 4k, and then you get the benefit of a 4k desktop

is your current display 1440p?

Spoiler

Oh boy, now that you don't want g-sync, can I recommend you in the Asus MX279H?

6 minutes ago, Tyrosen said:

Oh boy, now that you don't want g-sync, can I recommend you in the Asus MX279H?

isn't that a 27" 1080p display? It's far too expensive for the specs overall

Spoiler

Haha yes you can @Tyrosen all recommendations are helpful as I research this bundle of monitors all day and while I am at work tonight xD

This monitor looks pretty and definitely is in budget range, but there is no DisplayPorts also looking to get into higher hertz and better ms if I keep to a 27 inch display. 

That is why BenQ XL2720Z is still high on my list.

O well, I tried lol, its the monitor I have, I'll help look for some other monitor

3 minutes ago, amigetman said:

Haha yes you can @Tyrosen all recommendations are helpful as I research this bundle of monitors all day and while I am at work tonight xD

This monitor looks pretty and definitely is in budget range, but there is no DisplayPorts also looking to get into higher hertz and better ms if I keep to a 27 inch display. 

That is why BenQ XL2720Z is still high on my list.

You're going to want this display
1440p 144hz IPS for under 400
https://www.amazon.com/PX277-27-inch-2560x1440-FreeSync-Technology/dp/B01HPDAF68/ref=as_li_ss_tl?&linkCode=sl1&tag=jokerprodu03-20&linkId=6aaff3b70e9f5cfb083b91a6b24ac3b0

Spoiler

@Streetguru It is a nice monitor for sure, 500 is out of my budget range though, and I am not sure if I would want to push the 4k res because I am more into high refresh rates and ms if I'm staying at a 27 inch instead of going the ultrawide route. The thing is the only ultrawide I could afford is  LG 34UM67 (which is still very tempting to buy at its price right now)

Plus I am running dual monitor setup not with both at 60hz, so i probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference in fps.

6 minutes ago, amigetman said:

@Streetguru It is a nice monitor for sure, 500 is out of my budget range though, and I am not sure if I would want to push the 4k res because I am more into high refresh rates and ms if I'm staying at a 27 inch instead of going the ultrawide route. The thing is the only ultrawide I could afford is  LG 34UM67 (which is still very tempting to buy at its price right now)

Plus I am running dual monitor setup not with both at 60hz, so i probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference in fps.

response time really isn't going to be a big difference between modern displays, but ya, check the last one I linked, it's basically perfect

There's also this ultra wide 1440p at $500, better scaling/color than that 4K 28" display, but paying a lot more for less pixels
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FWDzK8/aoc-monitor-u3477pqu

Spoiler

Thanks @Streetguru I have not looked into that UltraWide yet, so far I think I am feeling more comfortable staying in my budget and that view sonic that @Tyrosen just posted is very interesting. Top 2 on the list so far

1) BenQ XL2720Z

2) ViewSonic XG2701

1080p at 27" just isn't very sharp, and for slightly more you could get that 1440p 144hz display

Spoiler

Thanks @Streetguru I have not looked into that UltraWide yet, so far I think I am feeling more comfortable staying in my budget and that view sonic that @Tyrosen just posted is very interesting. Top 2 on the list so far

1) BenQ XL2720Z

2) ViewSonic XG2701

The biggest con I've seen with the viewsonic is that it is a very sensitive TN panel

Ok @Streetguru I'll keep browsing, thanks for the tips guys. It's so much better talking to others rather than sitting here confused at the end of the day.

2 hours ago, amigetman said:

Ok @Streetguru I'll keep browsing, thanks for the tips guys. It's so much better talking to others rather than sitting here confused at the end of the day.

I'm currently looking into ultrawide monitors as well I'm leaning towards the LG 34UM68-P. It seems like a pretty good value for what you get especially with the dual controller. If I decide on that I'll get a lot of use out of the LG screen splitting and dual controller to hook up my Surface Pro 3 and desktop. It seem like a much better value than the LG 34UM67 from the prices of seen of that. With the UM68 you get an adjustable stand which is a must for me. Also the scaling is fine at that resolution. If anything the higher res ultrawide has worse scaling because it similar to 4K which we all know has a lot of trouble with scaling.

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro