Software fan controller

_Grid21

Before anyone says anything, I know speed fan is out there but I have had it crashed my PC once or twice before. So I need to know beside SpeedFan what other softwares can I use on my computers to get a handle on these fans and get them under MY control?

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

5 minutes ago, Josh_Grid21 said:

Before anyone says anything, I know speed fan is out there but I have had it crashed my PC once or twice before. So I need to know beside SpeedFan what other softwares can I use on my computers to get a handle on these fans and get them under MY control?

What Motherboard do you have?

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

Just now, CmzPlusHardware said:

What Motherboard do you have?

Well one computer is a Asus Z87-A motherboard, the other computer is a HP Elitebook 2740p.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

6 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Do you get fan control through AI suite with that motherboard?

They didn't update it yet. So I need something as an alternative in the mean time. 

How do you know SpeedFan crashed your PC?

SpeedFan is so much better than everything else by such a large margin I still have to recommend trying to get it working.

Make sure you have the latest version and all that.

It should work pretty fine with a motherboard as popular as the Z87-A provided it's configured correctly.

3 minutes ago, Hunched said:

How do you know SpeedFan crashed your PC?

SpeedFan is so much better than everything else by such a large margin I still have to recommend trying to get it working.

Make sure you have the latest version and all that.

It should work pretty fine with a motherboard as popular as the Z87-A provided it's configured correctly.

Would it work with a HP Elitebook 2740p? And last time I messed with speedfan I had a system crash. But maybe it's more stable now?

2 minutes ago, Josh_Grid21 said:

Would it work with a HP Elitebook 2740p? And last time I messed with speedfan I had a system crash. But maybe it's more stable now?

SpeedFan hasn't changed much in years, its been stable for a long time.

I don't know how much fan control laptops even allow if any, especially something like an HP which isn't made for gamers with a super cooling setup or anything.

1 minute ago, Hunched said:

SpeedFan hasn't changed much in years, its been stable for a long time.

I don't know how much fan control laptops even allow if any, especially something like an HP which isn't made for gamers with a super cooling setup or anything.

Well what do I have to enable in the bios to make speedfan work properly? 

9 minutes ago, Josh_Grid21 said:

They didn't update it yet. So I need something as an alternative in the mean time. 

I doubt they will, they barely bother updating the current generation motherboards.

I installed the Windows 8 x64 AI Suite for my old x79 motherboard on Windows 10, and it worked fine for controlling the fans. I prefer to set the fan profiles in bios, and not have bloatware running though.

Just now, DrMikeNZ said:

I doubt they will, they barely bother updating the current generation motherboards.

I installed the Windows 8 x64 AI Suite for my old x79 motherboard on Windows 10, and it worked fine for controlling the fans. I prefer to set the fan profiles in bios, and not have bloatware running though.

Well I tried to install the windows 8? version too and it didn't work as well. And I called Asus and they told me they were working on an update for the Z87-A motherboard.

19 minutes ago, Hunched said:

Shouldn't have to do anything in the BIOS for SpeedFan to work.

This is the best guide for SpeedFan: http://www.silentpcreview.com/SpeedFan

Apparently Speed Fan has no ticket support for the Asus Z87-A, so is there a detailed tutorial that explains the software really well? 

Just now, Josh_Grid21 said:

Apparently Speed Fan has no ticket support for the Asus Z87-A, so is there a detailed tutorial that explains the software really well? 

That link is to the most detailed guide on the internet of SpeedFan that exists as far as I'm aware.

Go to page 2 of the guide.

Nobody actually uses that ticket thing, the page I linked even says "More often than not, you'll have to take matters into your own hands and configure it yourself"

7 minutes ago, Hunched said:

That link is to the most detailed guide on the internet of SpeedFan that exists as far as I'm aware.

Go to page 2 of the guide.

Nobody actually uses that ticket thing, the page I linked even says "More often than not, you'll have to take matters into your own hands and configure it yourself"

Well I am following a guide by JayztwoCents, but what I need to know is what is the ID of the PWM chip for the Z87-A. This is what speed fan found so did I select the right thing? http://prntscr.com/c5tz1z 

1 minute ago, Josh_Grid21 said:

Well I am following a guide by JayztwoCents, but what I need to know is what is the ID of the PWM chip for the Z87-A. This is what speed fan found so did I select the right thing? http://prntscr.com/c5tz1z 

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1275-page2.html

"The next step is to enable the fan controls, which often don't work by default. In the "Advanced" tab, select the controller chip for the fans in the drop down menu. The "PWM modes" determine how the fans are controlled. In this case, "Smart Fan IV" is code for BIOS/UEFI control. Change all of them to "Manual" (sometimes it will be called "Software control") and remember to check the "remember it" box in the bottom right hand corner for each PWM mode so the setting will stick."

06.jpg

If you are wondering why everyone is so keen to get your Speedfan working, the fact is there isn't anything else. Its either Speedfan or whatever your mobo provides. There's halfway solution with OpenHardwareMonitor but it only has options for full speed or 50%, if you have only 3pin support.

There are Corsairs Link and NZXT CAM. But both require hardware hub for control Base.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

If you are wondering why everyone is so keen to get your Speedfan working, the fact is there isn't anything else. Its either Speedfan or whatever your mobo provides. There's halfway solution with OpenHardwareMonitor but it only has options for full speed or 50%, if you have only 3pin support.

There are Corsairs Link and NZXT CAM. But both require hardware hub for control Base.

Well last night I was able to make a decent fan curve I am happy with. But I'm probably gonna call Asus and bug them about their software and tell them I'm waiting. ;) Their usually pretty good about the support.