Budget VR

Go to solution Solved by Gokufighther,

you can keep the cpu and mobo just fine, just expect to have to upgrade them within a year or 2 at max. getting a rx 480 8gb might be better, they are $240 on the low side. and finally, getting an ssd for those games so they load faster is a must!

i want to build a budget vr machine. i have a build already but i don't know what needs to be upgraded or tossed out. im using an amd card so hopefully that can somehow be implemented into the machine if i can keep it or end up changing it out. here's a reference of a budget build from a website (http://www.digitaltrends.com/virtual-reality/how-to-build-a-cheap-vr-ready-pc/) (also screenshot)Screenshot_9.png

Here's what i have *note: i only have 1 stick of 8gb ram from the two shown one was DOA.

Screenshot_10.pngcasing.png.d787ae649ec27accf8b60b64119ae9ba.png576dd39062f0e_powersupply.png.d6bd6c483c6c7d798600ed314727e2c3.png

i know the graphics card wont do and i plan on getting that radeon rx 480  as listed in the reference.

what im asking here is guidance. should i get a new processor and motherboard? should i do away with the entire set and start a new(would rather not and save the money)? should i go for the i5 and motherboard shown in reference or can i do way with a cheaper but par processor like mine?

Just now, DominicNikon said:

i have a vr ready pc but a headset is too much lol

hey there is this application called riftcat on pc and is companion vridge on android that i tested with a unity demo works decent on my current build so i wanted to upgrade this build to play some better vr games then eventually get a vive

2 minutes ago, kingchangling said:

hey there is this application called riftcat on pc and is companion vridge on android that i tested with a unity demo works decent on my current build so i wanted to upgrade this build to play some better vr games then eventually get a vive

ok im going to try it out do i need a mobile vr headset?

you can keep the cpu and mobo just fine, just expect to have to upgrade them within a year or 2 at max. getting a rx 480 8gb might be better, they are $240 on the low side. and finally, getting an ssd for those games so they load faster is a must!

1 minute ago, DominicNikon said:

ok im going to try it out do i need a mobile vr headset?

yea google cardboard works fine if your phone supports

1 minute ago, Gokufighther said:

you can keep the cpu and mobo just fine, just expect to have to upgrade them within a year or 2 at max. getting a rx 480 8gb might be better, they are $240 on the low side. and finally getting an ssd for those games so they load faster is a must!

hmm thanks for the info! im glad ill be only needing to replace the graphics card ill look into some SSD maybe you have a recommended one?

Just now, kingchangling said:

hmm thanks for the info! im glad ill be only needing to replace the graphics card ill look into some SSD maybe you have a recommended one?

Adata sp550 240GB for $61.99 off newegg right now is a pretty good deal!

Just now, Gokufighther said:

Adata sp550 240GB for $61.99 off newegg right now is a pretty good deal!

awesome ill be sure to check it out thanks!

3 minutes ago, kingchangling said:

if you can use it on your phone i dont think you can pick stuff up?

13 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

if you can use it on your phone i dont think you can pick stuff up?

i believe it uses the camera, you just have to be in a good position to pick things up. not like you wouldnt be in one anyway