Red N White Army : First Water Cooled Build

Leak test!!

using distilled water to flush the loop test for leaks and test the drain system. 

Result - a small leak on the CPU inlet :-(

caused by the tube being too deformed to fit in the fitting snugly due to the tightness of the bend. 

Had to redo the tube with my last piece of PETG using a wet cloth to keep it from deforming. 

It took a LOT of shaking to drain the loop. 

Rerunning the leak test seems much better

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Build Log : Red N White Army

System Specs

NZXT S340

i7 4790k

Z97 MSI Gaming 5

Palit 980 Ti Super Jetstream

16GB HyperX Savage 1866 RAM

Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD

EVGA 750W G2 PSU

Custom Cooling Loop

This was the bit I had to use the wet rag for. You can see how tight the bend is but also how it's a little stretched now. Not perfect at all. 

image.jpeg

System Specs

NZXT S340

i7 4790k

Z97 MSI Gaming 5

EVGA 750W G2 PSU

Custom Cooling Loop

This looks amazing :D 

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

looks so good. 

well how can I not like it anyway ? we have the same setup same case same cooling....except I'm on AIO :D

your paint job is really nice looking ! waiting for more

Thanks guys! I know things aren't as perfect as id like but first time spray painting and bending tubes so I can't be too hard on myself for the mistakes. 

My Mayhems blood red cooling fluid arrived today, plus the final fitting that I need to do the drain system properly so it doesn't hang off.

They always say that you end up waiting for one fitting that you didn't realise you needed, they were right!

hoping to drain the system tomorrow, load in the new fluid and then put an led strip across the top maybe. I don't want an led across the bottom as I think the strip would show from the window

Then might be ready to get Windows installed and some benchmarking! Then see about over clocking maybe....

System Specs

NZXT S340

i7 4790k

Z97 MSI Gaming 5

EVGA 750W G2 PSU

Custom Cooling Loop

You should have gone for one of the new gigabye gaming motherboards. They are red and white: http://ca.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5481#ov

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

1 hour ago, Clanscorpia said:

You should have gone for one of the new gigabye gaming motherboards. They are red and white: http://ca.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5481#ov

Nice!

I didn't want to upgrade my CPU unfortunately, think the i7 4790k is more than enough for my needs (essentially office, remote work, multitasking and of course gaming!)

one of the things I really wanted was an all white case with a big window, but I couldn't find one so this was the best I could do. 

Maybe if I had more time and skills I might have been able to take the case apart and spray paint it white...

System Specs

NZXT S340

i7 4790k

Z97 MSI Gaming 5

EVGA 750W G2 PSU

Custom Cooling Loop

• 2 weeks later...

So the red mayhems coolant is finally in and seems to be running ok!

looks like there was a bit of colour seepage on the top and bottom of the reservoir screw threads, not sure I can do much about that other than take it all apart and clean it again unfortunately...

Last thing left to do is put in the LED strip and get it onto my desk and sort out the cable management (which is a total mess at the minute as I just changed desks!)

IMG_1649.JPG

IMG_1650.JPG

IMG_1651.JPG

System Specs

NZXT S340

i7 4790k

Z97 MSI Gaming 5

EVGA 750W G2 PSU

Custom Cooling Loop

A quick idle benchmark!

IMG_1644.JPG

System Specs

NZXT S340

i7 4790k

Z97 MSI Gaming 5

EVGA 750W G2 PSU

Custom Cooling Loop

Gah, the EK Vardar fan is spinning at full speed despite being plugged into a PWM port (CPUFan2)

I'll need to swap it to CPUFan1 and see if that makes a difference otherwise i'll need a new fan as its far too loud.

System Specs

NZXT S340

i7 4790k

Z97 MSI Gaming 5

EVGA 750W G2 PSU

Custom Cooling Loop

1 minute ago, THFourteen said:

Gah, the EK Vardar fan is spinning at full speed despite being plugged into a PWM port (CPUFan2)

I'll need to swap it to CPUFan1 and see if that makes a difference otherwise i'll need a new fan as its far too loud.

is it 3 pin ? I bought myself Nidec Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm on amazon and seller was lying on it being 4 Pin PWM. It was not. Full speed it was a bit noisy, so I bought a resistor cable, like 2$ to put it in 7v, can't hear it and spin at 1450. 

recently I wanted to use PWM on it and bought Phantek PWM fan hub, plug it into 4 pin MTB and plug up to 6 fan 3pin on it

42 minutes ago, belfouf said:

is it 3 pin ? I bought myself Nidec Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm on amazon and seller was lying on it being 4 Pin PWM. It was not. Full speed it was a bit noisy, so I bought a resistor cable, like 2$ to put it in 7v, can't hear it and spin at 1450. 

recently I wanted to use PWM on it and bought Phantek PWM fan hub, plug it into 4 pin MTB and plug up to 6 fan 3pin on it

Nope its a 4 pin fan in a 4 pin header, pretty sure the PWM function on the motherboard is working as the PWM on the two noctuas are working fine connected to SYSFANs.

I am using an extension cable though, so its possible that's doing something...

Actually that's a good point, I have a couple of Noctua low noise adaptors I could use those if I wasn't able to fix the problem! Would be nice to have PWM as that's what I was hoping for

System Specs

NZXT S340

i7 4790k

Z97 MSI Gaming 5

EVGA 750W G2 PSU

Custom Cooling Loop

• 1 month later...

Just realised I never finished this log off! Got to the bottom of the PWM issue the fan extension cable looked like it was four pin but actually it had a wire missing so it was only three pin!

Installed some LEDs and been up and running for a while, the temps are pretty good on the GPU, the CPU goes up to 82 or so at full load which is annoying. Not sure if it's because I'm running the fans at low speed or because I kept the pump at 3 or maybe badly applied thermal paste but it's fine for now and I'll take another look in 6 months when I flush and clean out the loop. 

System Specs

NZXT S340

i7 4790k

Z97 MSI Gaming 5

EVGA 750W G2 PSU

Custom Cooling Loop