New Built PC, Old HDD with Windows

UnsavingHalo

If I build a PC, can I use my old HDD from my old Dell PC. It has Windows 8 on it. If not, is there any way to get around it without buying a whole new copy?

You can just chuck your old hard drive in the new system however you may have errors with driver compatibility so what most people opt for is to just reinstall the OS. Do you have your OS license number? With most of those preconfigured systems, it is normally printed somewhere on the case.

No. Windows 8 product key is in the BIOS. No more stickers.

You need to use the recovery disks that you ordered with the system (if you did), if not use the disk you burned yourself once you got the system.

If you none of the above, reduce the size of your HDD in term of usage file down to fit your SSD, and get a cloning software to clone your HDD to your SSD.

No. Windows 8 product key is in the BIOS. No more stickers. You need to use the recovery disks that you ordered with the system (if you did)' date=' if not use the disk you burned yourself once you got the system. If you none of the above, reduce the size of your HDD in term of usage file down to fit your SSD, and get a cloning software to clone your HDD to your SSD.[/quote']

Never once did he mention that he has an SSD. Just wanted to point that out.

You can put the old HDD in your system. Here is the problem. With the different hardware, it would be best if you refresh the system. Go into settings, change pc setting, general, refresh pc. Non of your files or setting will be changed but some of your installed programs that you installed using a disk or from the web will be uninstalled and you will have to reinstall them.