Asus Vulcan earpad fix?

jkjoonas

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had success with the Asus Vulcan earpad replacement/repair?

Mine have degragaded to the point that the inner ear leatherette will give away any moment now. I love these headphones and they have served me well for 3 years now and this the first problem I have had with them.

I know that Asus doesn't offer any replacement pads for them, they won't recommend any repairing methods via e-mail. Hot glue worked for me a solid 3-4 months, but the leatherette has such a small margin for error and I am lacking proper equipment to work with it, it is a thorn in my side.

Asus forums were a dead end, people have experienced this problem there too, and Asus' responsiveness and solutions have been lacklusters.

There is a picture of my situation attached to this post. It ain't the prettiest, but you get the idea of what is happening with them.

I know that some audiostore probably could fix them for a ton of money, were I willing to pay that much. Maybe some headphones that offer replacements could work here. The earcup dimensions are approximately 78mm width and 98mm height.

Thank you in advance :)

IMG_20160809_192910.jpg

Current:  [Cpu: 6800k 3,9Ghz] [MB: Asrock X99M extreme4] [Cpu cooler: Corsair h110i] [Ram: 16gb 3000Mhz CL15 Vengeance]

[Case: Phanteks Evolv mATX] [PSU: 750w Corsair Rmx] [GPU: EVGA 1080 SC] 

Oldie: [Cpu: 4670k 4,5Ghz] [MB: Asus Z87 Deluxe] [Cpu cooler: Rajintek Pallas] [Ram: 16gb 1600Mhz CL9 HyperX]

[Case: Fractal Design R4] [PSU: 750w Corsair CX] [GPU: Gigabyte 7970 Ghz edition] 

don't mind me bumping the topic..

Current:  [Cpu: 6800k 3,9Ghz] [MB: Asrock X99M extreme4] [Cpu cooler: Corsair h110i] [Ram: 16gb 3000Mhz CL15 Vengeance]

Oldie: [Cpu: 4670k 4,5Ghz] [MB: Asus Z87 Deluxe] [Cpu cooler: Rajintek Pallas] [Ram: 16gb 1600Mhz CL9 HyperX]

[Case: Fractal Design R4] [PSU: 750w Corsair CX] [GPU: Gigabyte 7970 Ghz edition] 

Welcome to the world of shitty, disposable headsets. This isn't the only "product" from a peripheral company with this failure mode.

Bottom line, you need to move on and get real headphones, or at least a quality headset with replaceable pads. You love these because you've never had anything better.

My only thought to resurrect these is to rip the pads off and put some Brainwavz pads on there. Use double-sided adhesive if you have to.

I hear you buddy, the only real issue is that I am not willing to drop 150+€ on a headset, or mic+headphones combo in a year or so, student life and such. Otherwise I would already own a pair of audiotechnicas etc.

Thanks for the tip.

5 hours ago, jkjoonas said:

I hear you buddy, the only real issue is that I am not willing to drop 150+€ on a headset, or mic+headphones combo in a year or so, student life and such. Otherwise I would already own a pair of audiotechnicas etc.

Thanks for the tip.

Yeah, I can see you are stretched for cash if you can only afford a 6800K and GTX 1080. 9_9

1 minute ago, SSL said:

Yeah, I can see you are stretched for cash if you can only afford a 6800K and GTX 1080. 9_9

It is called priorities :) productivity/school work is different. I didn't buy my current system to play cs go and lol on it. Heavy multithreaded workloads in 3d rendering, video rendering and file compression are a drag to have in the background while using a 4670k+7970, wouldn't you agree?

For the record, money works in mysterious ways. Just an example, imagine you have 2000€/$/£ less than you expected to spare. I bought my current system not knowing my employer would screw me over and not follow our agreed terms. But I digress.

On topic again: I managed to fix them with HyperX cloud headset earpads, they will serve my purpose. They seem to fit surprisingly well.

• 4 months later...

@jkjoonas Thank you so much for your suggestion, I just used my 2nd pair of ear pads from my HyperX Cloud and resurrected my Asus Vulcan Pro. It'll do for my brother. Love you man <3