Typical "My First Build" Question Thread

Hi Guys and Gals,

I've been watching Linus & Co on the YouTube side for a while and decided to jump in deeper and get involved with the community. I'm looking to build my first rig; upgrading from a macbook pro and rejoining the PC Master race for the first time in a decade. My job involves a heavy amount of video editing and animation so the primary purpose will be video related, along with a small amount of gaming and dipping my toes into steam. I'm looking forward to nuking Gandhi in Civ 6. 

I'll be twinning it with a 4k television as a monitor, with plans to upgrade later down the pipeline to a standalone rig. I was wondering if anyone has done a similar build or had any issues with the parts in my list? I'm slightly worried about being forward thinking and not bothering with an optical drive, when it comes to OS and driver installs after the build is finished. 

Without further ado, the parts list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/MsG3Z8

Any comments or advice would be welcomed before i sink any money into this build. 

Cheers
Josh

1. Swap the AMD Dinosaur with an i5 6500,6600,6600K

2.If you use a TV for a monitor be prepared to put up with input lag and low response times... 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

But can you give us a set budget so that we can suggest a build around that price? 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

11 minutes ago, JoshuaCrawley said:

Hi Guys and Gals,

I've been watching Linus & Co on the YouTube side for a while and decided to jump in deeper and get involved with the community. I'm looking to build my first rig; upgrading from a macbook pro and rejoining the PC Master race for the first time in a decade. My job involves a heavy amount of video editing and animation so the primary purpose will be video related, along with a small amount of gaming and dipping my toes into steam. I'm looking forward to nuking Gandhi in Civ 6. 

I'll be twinning it with a 4k television as a monitor, with plans to upgrade later down the pipeline to a standalone rig. I was wondering if anyone has done a similar build or had any issues with the parts in my list? I'm slightly worried about being forward thinking and not bothering with an optical drive, when it comes to OS and driver installs after the build is finished. 

Without further ado, the parts list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/MsG3Z8

Any comments or advice would be welcomed before i sink any money into this build. 

Cheers
Josh

Different CPU, FX series dead, different PSU, NEX is subpar for price, you're going for a red/black theme?

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

But can you give us a set budget so that we can suggest a build around that price? 

Sure thing,

Looking around £1200 maximum. Call me an idiot, but i'm confused where the Intel would be better in this scenario. With fewer cores  a lower clock speed and less cache. Is this one of these situations where despite all the contributing factors are better, it's the actual chip architecture and software that gives the intel the edge.

An i7 will definitely help with running the software that you'll be using for editing. And you'll probably want some amount of HDD storage to archive your videos. 500GB will not last forever.

CPU: i7 4770K  |  Corsair H80i  |  ASUS Z87-Pro  |  8GB Corsair 1866Mhz  |  GPU: MSI Gaming X RX 480 8GB  |  Corsair HX  750

Just now, JoshuaCrawley said:

Sure thing,

Looking around £1200 maximum. Call me an idiot, but i'm confused where the Intel would be better in this scenario. With fewer cores  a lower clock speed and less cache. Is this one of these situations where despite all the contributing factors are better, it's the actual chip architecture and software that gives the intel the edge.

FX IPC is complete trash. Makes practically every Intel CPU better for gaming.

Sure thing,

A single Intel Core is equal to 2 AMD ones... So don't worry... 

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

Different CPU, FX series dead, different PSU, NEX is subpar for price, you're going for a red/black theme?

Flexible on the theme, i just want it to be aesthetically pleasing and not a mess of colour. Even in that eventuality i would be willing to opt for a closed window setup. 

Hi there

First, I wouldn't recommande to use an AMD CPU for video editing. An i-5 will be better, and i-7 will be wonderful with the Hyperthreading if money is lesser of a concerne.

Second, 32GB of ram is overkill, 8-16g will do fine.

Third, the 500 GB SSD. I don't know the pricing in your area. If it's a good deal, take it. If it's in Canada, I would go with 256gb SSD + 1 or 2 TB HDD for video storage.

If you are streaming or recording gameplay, then FX -8350 is better then a i5 because you have more cores, and can use 2 cores for recording software, then 4 for the game, and there are 2 cores left for the OS and other stuff and it's cheaper. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£267.90 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI H110M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£68.49 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£69.40 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£125.00 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£69.53 @ Misco UK)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card  (£236.14 @ CCL Computers)
Case: BitFenix Aegis (Red) MicroATX Mid Tower Case  (£69.99 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£76.79 @ Novatech)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit  (£83.99 @ More Computers)
Keyboard: Redragon S101 Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  (£29.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1097.22
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-08 21:12 BST+0100

Swapping to 6700K will allow overclocking as long as you also change to a Z170 motherboard. But, that will also require a CPU cooler.

CPU: i7 4770K  |  Corsair H80i  |  ASUS Z87-Pro  |  8GB Corsair 1866Mhz  |  GPU: MSI Gaming X RX 480 8GB  |  Corsair HX  750

1 minute ago, frozeNNN said:

32GB RAM, why?

A mix of future proofing and overkill for overkills sake. Probably the most wasteful part of the build. 

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/VtPxcc

Killer editing rig, but £44 overbudget. ..If you want £1200 and below, swap the 500GB SSD with a 250GB and get a 1TB HDD

@JoshuaCrawley The pc I just suggested has 6 cores and runs at 3.3GHz and yet poops all over the FX-8350... (As an example for why Intel>AMD atm)

11 minutes ago, JoshuaCrawley said:

Flexible on the theme, i just want it to be aesthetically pleasing and not a mess of colour. Even in that eventuality i would be willing to opt for a closed window setup. 

here:

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/qYnTJV
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/qYnTJV/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£232.47 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£53.98 @ CCL Computers) 
Memory: Kingston Savage 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£57.24 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Kingston Savage 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£57.24 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£58.82 @ CCL Computers) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£41.58 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card  (£215.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£69.98 @ Novatech) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£85.44 @ Amazon UK) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  (£79.98 @ Ebuyer) 
Keyboard: Redragon S101 Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  (£29.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £982.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-08 21:17 BST+0100

CPU with a better IPC, it'll beat the 8350 and better PSU.

9 minutes ago, Monster014 said:

If you are streaming or recording gameplay, then FX -8350 is better then a i5 because you have more cores, and can use 2 cores for recording software, then 4 for the game, and there are 2 cores left for the OS and other stuff and it's cheaper. 

No, it's not...those 8 cores are SLOW and the 4 i5 cores are FAST

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

@JoshuaCrawley The pc I just suggested has 6 cores and runs at 3.3GHz and yet poops all over the FX-8350... (As an example for why Intel>AMD atm)

I can see what you mean, looking at benchmarks there is a 4000 point difference between a 6700 and a 8350 despite the higher clock speed and number of cores. The 5820k you've suggested looks like an absolute monster. 

I can see what you mean, looking at benchmarks there is a 4000 point difference between a 6700 and a 8350 despite the higher clock speed and number of cores. The 5820k you've suggested looks like an absolute monster. 

It sure is! I absolutely love it. .. with the Hyper 212 Evo I included you can reach 4.0GHz easily and have even better performance

starelementpoke

Funtron5000

Just wanted to say thank you in both taking the time in building out complete rigs to suggest to me.

Seems the combined efforts are pushing me towards the blue team right now, in regards to the processor. 

2 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Heads up, the NEX is sub-par for the price. You can do much better.

Maybe a Seasonic M12II 620W? (I am not a PSU expert)

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

No, it's not...those 8 cores are SLOW and the 4 i5 cores are FAST

duno, my friend uses FX-8350 and a 970 for streaming Dota and World of Tanks, and streaming at 1080p fine.

Just now, Monster014 said:

duno, my friend uses FX-8350 and a 970 for streaming Dota and World of Tanks, and streaming at 1080p fine.

I didn't say it is bad, I meant that a 6600K would outperform it