No sound

masterkill59
Go to solution Solved by JakeNTech,

If you don't want to get a new motherboard or USB head set, have a look on eBay for cheap sound cards.

My headset started doing weird noises a while back, so I started using my speakers instead but they did the same thing. After a while I figured out that unplugging an replugging the device fixed the issue for a day or 2 so I went back to using my headset.

It had been about a month since ive needed to unplug them because the problem hadn't come back but 2 hours ago the sound messed up again so I unplugged and replugged them. The sound came back for about a second and then it completely cut out and it hasn't come back since.

The fact that multiple devices (7.1 headset, speakers & earbuds) all had the same problem makes me think that the motherboard sound jacks are the problem but i wanted to know if anyone had any ideas that could help before I go off shopping for a new motherboard.

OS - - - - - - - : Windows 10 Home x64

Motherboard :  Asus P8H77-m Pro (Bios 1505)

CPU  - - - - -  : Intel i7-3770k

GPU  - - - - -  : Nvidia GeForce GTX 780

PSU  - - - - -  : Thermaltake TR2 600W

RAM - - - - -  : Kingston HyperX 2x4 ddr3

You could try with an usb headset, it will be cheaper than replacing a motherboard. 

If you don't want to get a new motherboard or USB head set, have a look on eBay for cheap sound cards.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

https://www.amazon.de/SODIAL-Wz-Stereo-Soundkarten-Adapter-kompatibel-Windows/dp/B008KGL2L2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1470659235&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+soundcard

for normal needs a low tier usb sound card will suffice

If your motherboard really is broken just plug this into the back usb ports and set it as your default audio and communication device in preferences.

My setup

CPU i7 4770K 4.8 ghz 1.4V Motherboard MSI G-45z87 RAM 32gb 1600mhz hyperx ram GPU 3x Gtx 780ti Windforce GHZ edition Case NZXT Phantom 820 Storage 64gb SSD and a 500GB HDD PSU corsair ax1200i Display(s) 3x Acer S231HL Cooling h105 8 corsair af 120

So I can keep using my headset I need a sound card that supports 7.1. I'm thinking about getting an Asus Strix Soar, it seems to have a good quality for price ratio from what ive read.

Anyways, thanks for the replies, without them I might have not thought about getting a soundcard instead of replacing my motherboard.

no worries :)

My setup

CPU i7 4770K 4.8 ghz 1.4V Motherboard MSI G-45z87 RAM 32gb 1600mhz hyperx ram GPU 3x Gtx 780ti Windforce GHZ edition Case NZXT Phantom 820 Storage 64gb SSD and a 500GB HDD PSU corsair ax1200i Display(s) 3x Acer S231HL Cooling h105 8 corsair af 120