Wifi extender same ssid help

poole

Hi 
I was wondering is there a way to have the same ssid as the router on the wifi extender. This is because currently i have 4 set of ssid and 2 from the router and 2 from the extender. Is there a way to have only 2 ssid where the wifi extender copy the router channel? Currently, i am using Netgear nighthawk and Netgear ac1900 wifi extender. Thx

Yes, there is. Depending on the model you are using, it should be possible to just set it to the same ssid.

Your devices should (!) select the extender or the router depending on the signal strength. No manual control needed.

And there is the problem: Switching between the extender and router doesn't have to be seemless, so streaming connections might be dropped for a moment. And some devices tend to stay on the weaker signal for too long. So you have shitty (slow) WiFi, though there is a better option in range.

With access points and a wired backbone, you can use this problem by placing the APs far enough from each other. But that's not really an option for your setup, since wifi-repeaters have to be in range of the base-station.

At the end: just set it to the same and try it. :)

Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3070Ti, Acer Predator x34

InWin 901

You should be able to manually set the SSID of the repeaters to the same as the router. Make sure the passwords match too. 

Some wireless repeaters can have issues with seemless roaming, though. Still, it's better than having to switch between them manually. 

Would it not switch automatic to the strongest signal?