i5 thermal throttling at 40°C

Go to solution Solved by unclewebb,

Did you try clearing the BD PROCHOT box yet?  Sometimes when a thermal sensor goes bad on the motherboard, it will send a signal to the CPU to tell it to throttle down to its lowest speed.  Clearing the BD PROCHOT box will prevent these signals from getting to the CPU so it can continue to run at its rated speed.

If the CPU ever gets too hot, it will still throttle whether BD PROCHOT is checked or not.  You are just trying to block outside throttling signals from slowing down your CPU.  

It would be a good idea to upgrade to the latest version of ThrottleStop which is available on TechPowerUp.  It has a lot more features for the newer CPUs like you have.

My Family owns an acer Aspire Z3-615 (AIO), and I'v just tried running TF2 on this thing. It didn't work that well so i ran some benchmarks.

after some further investigation, i figured out, that the intel i5 4460T is running at 0.800GHz and the iGPU (intel HD 4600) at 200MHz, due to thermal throttling (according to Intel extreme Tuning Utility) . But according to HWMonitior the max temp is 51°C.

Has anybody an idea why it does that and how to prevent it from thermal throttling?

the System:

Acer Aspire Z3-615

Mobo: Aspire Z3-615

CPU: I5 4460T (1.9 GHz)

GPU: intel HD 4600

Clean up dat pc boe. Could be vrm or cpu socket being too hot. Run cpu burner (msi kombustor has one) and take screen shot from hwmonitor

''Daddy CumTits 2.0'' (pc):

CPU - Intel i7 8700k

GPU - Asus Strix 1080 8gb

RAM - 2x8gb Corsair Vengance 

MOBO - Asus Prime Z370-p

PSU - Corsair RM750x

I can't clean it up, it's a AIO.

where is CPU Burner in  MSI Kombuster? 

1 hour ago, Poohl said:

My Family owns an acer Aspire Z3-615 (AIO), and I'v just tried running TF2 on this thing. It didn't work that well so i ran some benchmarks.

after some further investigation, i figured out, that the intel i5 4460T is running at 0.800GHz and the iGPU (intel HD 4600) at 200MHz, due to thermal throttling (according to Intel extreme Tuning Utility) . But according to HWMonitior the max temp is 51°C.

Has anybody an idea why it does that and how to prevent it from thermal throttling?

the System:

Acer Aspire Z3-615

Mobo: Aspire Z3-615

CPU: I5 4460T (1.9 GHz)

GPU: intel HD 4600

Do you have any air flow in your case? 

Might be a part on the motherboard (VRM, RAM ect) thats overheating and holding you back.

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

1 minute ago, Arcanekitten said:

Do you have any air flow in your case? 

Might be a part on the motherboard (VRM, RAM ect) thats overheating and holding you back.

This is a All -in one PC inside a Monitior, i have no clue how this thing looks inside.

after 3 minutes CPU burner:

16 minutes ago, Flavortown2k16 said:

Clean up dat pc boe. Could be vrm or cpu socket being too hot. Run cpu burner (msi kombustor has one) and take screen shot from hwmonitor

Unbenannt.JPG

1 hour ago, Poohl said:

This is a All -in one PC inside a Monitior, i have no clue how this thing looks inside.

mhh I might go and clean your pc first then since Idk for how long you owned that system but might be dusty inside and causing the issues.

You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

3 minutes ago, Poohl said:

It's a power issue I'd wager. Acer are horrible in almost every regard.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

3 minutes ago, Arcanekitten said:

mhh I might go and clean your pc first then since Idk for how long you owned that system but might be dusty inside and causing the issues.

I cant clean it, it's sealed.

we own it for half a year now.

1 hour ago, Poohl said:

I cant clean it, it's sealed.

we own it for half a year now.

Sealed ?!? 

I mean there is a side panel on it but sealed, I what way?

4 hours ago, Arcanekitten said:

Sealed ?!? 

I mean there is a side panel on it but sealed, I what way?

no, the PC is inside the monitior.

The Whole PC, we're talking about.

(I've installed Win 10 on it)

acer-aspire-z3-615-ur15-rear-angle.jpg

The mobo temps don't seem crazy to me so dunno what is causing this problem.

but the frequency never hit 2.2 ghz so it isn't throttling but software say it is.

1 hour ago, don_svetlio said:

It's a power issue I'd wager. Acer are horrible in almost every regard.

But it's not power throtteling.

36 minutes ago, Poohl said:

But it's not power throtteling.

What is the adapter/PSU rated at?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

2 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

What is the adapter/PSU rated at?

90 Watt if you mean that.

EDIT: It's not power throttling

Check if bi-directional PROCHOT is being activated.

Could try running throttlestop.

AWOL

10 minutes ago, X_X said:

BI ProChot seems to be activated,

I ran throttleStop, this is what it looks like:

also ThrotteleStop is reporting much higher Temps.

IMG_20160805_160744.jpg

17 minutes ago, X_X said:

So what to do now?

If those temps are correct (70°C), i should change the Fancurve, how?

Did you try clearing the BD PROCHOT box yet?  Sometimes when a thermal sensor goes bad on the motherboard, it will send a signal to the CPU to tell it to throttle down to its lowest speed.  Clearing the BD PROCHOT box will prevent these signals from getting to the CPU so it can continue to run at its rated speed.

If the CPU ever gets too hot, it will still throttle whether BD PROCHOT is checked or not.  You are just trying to block outside throttling signals from slowing down your CPU.  

It would be a good idea to upgrade to the latest version of ThrottleStop which is available on TechPowerUp.  It has a lot more features for the newer CPUs like you have.