6400 or save up for the 6700

Daar peoples, 

First time posting here, so sorry if it is the wrong forum. But I have a question.

I am building a small form factor PC for my girlfriend and she will be using it for the Adobe suite and solid works. Now, I have a build ready based on the 6400. But, is it worth it to save up for one or two months to go for the 6700 (because of hyperthreading)? Or maybe even the 6700k (though mobo is also more expensive for PC etc though and the core 500 I am using might not be great for ocing).

Thanks for all help in advance!

Enivi

If you're going to be putting a graphics card in there, you might as well go for the Skylake equivalent of the Xeon E3 1231-v3.

The Xeon E3 1230-V5. From what I gather, it's identical to a Core i7 6700 besides the integrated GPU, higher TDP, and a boost clock that's only slightly (200 MHz) slower.
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/w4dFf7/intel-cpu-bx80662e31230v5

19 minutes ago, 赵景红 said:

whats your mobo?

Wanted to go for a ASRock H110M-ITX, was the cheapest and also had enough features that she needs. The build around the CPU will be this:

Mobo: ASRock H110M-ITX (since no OC)

case: Fractal core 500

CPU cooler: Cooler Master TX3 i (for sound reasons only)

ram: Crucial CT2K8G4DFD8213 (16gb ddr 4)

PS: Cooler Master GM G450M

SSD: Kingston SSDNow UV400 240gb

Graphics card: 7850 (old card of mine)

HDD: Some 1 TB drive I have lying around

15 minutes ago, EazyHTML said:

I would go for a Xeon E3-1230-V5 or a 6700/6700k depending on price of the i7 vs the Xeon

Why go for a Xeon when they are identical to a 6700? 6700 is 320eu and the xeon e3-1230-v5 is 275 eu. So ye, the xeon is around 50eu cheaper! Thanks for the tip :D So a Xeon would be a better option?

2 minutes ago, Enivitation said:

Wanted to go for a ASRock H110M-ITX, was the cheapest and also had enough features that she needs. The build around the CPU will be this:

Mobo: ASRock H110M-ITX (since no OC)

case: Fractal core 500

CPU cooler: Cooler Master TX3 i (for sound reasons only)

ram: Crucial CT2K8G4DFD8213 (16gb ddr 4)

PS: Cooler Master GM G450M

SSD: Kingston SSDNow UV400 240gb

Graphics card: 7850 (old card of mine)

HDD: Some 1 TB drive I have lying around

Why go for a Xeon when they are identical to a 6700? 6700 is 320eu and the xeon e3-1230-v5 is 275 eu. So ye, the xeon is around 50eu cheaper! Thanks for the tip :D So a Xeon would be a better option?

Yes since its cheaper but offers similar performance,if you were overclocking the i7 (6700k) would crush the Xeon (can't OC),but since you in the first place can't OC the xeon is a better choice

43 minutes ago, EazyHTML said:

Yes since its cheaper but offers similar performance,if you were overclocking the i7 (6700k) would crush the Xeon (can't OC),but since you in the first place can't OC the xeon is a better choice

Thanks for the help guys! Will for for the Xeon. The small factor form case just isn't suited for overclocking (I know, I can go for watercooling) and the Xeon sounds nice! I think I will order the above build with a xeon in it. Xeons are also the same socket as the 6700, right? 1151?

Edit: see post below why Xeon won't work.

Just now, Enivitation said:

Thanks for the help guys! Will for for the Xeon. The small factor form case just isn't suited for overclocking (I know, I can go for watercooling) and the Xeon sounds nice! I think I will order the above build with a xeon in it. Xeons are also the same socket as the 6700, right? 1151?

The Xeon E3 1230-V5 is 1151 and is a little bit slower than the 6700 but is 50e cheaper 

4 minutes ago, Enivitation said:

Careful... I don't think those Xeons work in H110, B150, H170 or Z170 boards.

http://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#sort=a8&page=1

20 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Careful... I don't think those Xeons work in H110, B150, H170 or Z170 boards.

http://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#sort=a8&page=1

O wow... You just saved my ass. Since I might need server grade mobo that does not support ddr4, it might even cancel out the price benefits the xeon has. Hmmm Need to find out what mobos do work with the xeons.

EDIT: Ok, I just did some research. A Xeon requires a C232 chipset. There is only one mobo available in mini-itx size and C232 chipset. That board is 180 eu though. The H110 board I have now is 70eu. So the Xeon itself is cheaper, but the mobo makes is waaaayyy more expensive! Just added this, so if other people want to use this topic for their builds, they don't make the same mistake.