Disk management/partions

Emillionaire
Go to solution Solved by kirashi,
4 minutes ago, L0gic said:

I just screwed up. (again) 

I tried to format both drives threw the windows install, and now i cant install it on any of the two drives. (not any of the partions) 
What is my options? 

If you're still in the Windows bootable installer, go back a screen from where it asks what disk/partition you want to install it on.

Press SHIFT+F10 on your keyboard to open a Command Prompt.

Type "diskpart" into the command prompt.

Wait for it to detect your drives (should be quick) and type in "list disk" to list the disks.

THIS IS BEST DONE WITH ONLY THE DRIVE YOU WANT TO FORMAT PLUGGED IN AND NOTHING ELSE.

Type "sel dis #" where the hashtag is the number of the disk you want to select starting from 0.

When you're sure you have the correct disk selected, type "clean" and press enter.

You've just done a soft wipe of the partitions on your disk, and the Windows bootable installer should now show your disk as unpartitioned space.

If not, we'll need more info to continue.

Currently have windows 10 installed on a ssd and 1 tb harddisk for storage. 
I am selling the pc, so i wish to do a complete clean install of windows. 
The only problem is that when installing it fresh, then it cant be installed on any of the six partions free. (i think i messed up in disk management) 

So i guess i should just format both drives (so they are empty), and then reinstall from scratch, or can i fix my disk my partions in disk management? 

Screenshot:

13898544_938281359651780_1694601623_o (2).png

Yes, the username is cringe. 

2 minutes ago, Logarithm said:

Wow, those commas confused me for a second there.

Sorry, i am using the Danish system, which is more advanced than the English system. :)

Just removed some of them in the post. :) 

You can fix it, just use windows management or a third party like minitools part wizard. delete all but the system partition and expand that partition into all the space.

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Boot into something like an Ubuntu Live CD (aka flash drive) and format with that.t

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

3 minutes ago, RedWulf said:

You can fix it, just use windows management or a third party like minitools part wizard. delete all but the system partition and expand that partition into all the space.

I tried to format both drives threw the windows install, and now i cant install it on any of the two drives. (not any of the partions) 
What is my options? 

Just now, L0gic said:

What is my options? 

as @tmcclelland455 said, just live boot and fix the parts(just go with ntfs and one part per drive). 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Just now, RedWulf said:

as @tmcclelland455 said, just live boot and fix the parts(just go with ntfs and one part per drive). 

How to "live boot"? 
This is my first build. 

4 minutes ago, L0gic said:

What is my options? 

If you're still in the Windows bootable installer, go back a screen from where it asks what disk/partition you want to install it on.

Wait for it to detect your drives (should be quick) and type in "list disk" to list the disks.

THIS IS BEST DONE WITH ONLY THE DRIVE YOU WANT TO FORMAT PLUGGED IN AND NOTHING ELSE.

Type "sel dis #" where the hashtag is the number of the disk you want to select starting from 0.

When you're sure you have the correct disk selected, type "clean" and press enter.

You've just done a soft wipe of the partitions on your disk, and the Windows bootable installer should now show your disk as unpartitioned space.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Just now, L0gic said:

How to "live boot"? 
This is my first build. 

You have a flash drive and a working computer, right?

Download a mint or ubuntu iso from its official site(there are OSs for this kinda thing but theyre just complicated for this one thing)

Download a free tool called lili or rufus or yumi(either work)

Use it to burn the iso to the usb and boot from it

It is basically an OS running from the thumb drive

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

5 minutes ago, kirashi said:

I will try that in a second. Thx. 

10 minutes ago, kirashi said:

I just did that. 
Now only that drive shows up, but with the error "Windows cannot be installed on this drive show details" (in Danish though) 

(Only the SSD is plugged in, and i can see that it has been cleaned.)

Just now, L0gic said:

I just did that. 
Now only that drive shows up, but with the error "Windows cannot be installed on this drive show details" (in Danish though) 

What do the "show details" state? You may need to shutdown (just unplug it) and reboot back up from the bootable installer after doing a disk clean.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

2 minutes ago, kirashi said:

What do the "show details" state? You may need to shutdown (just unplug it) and reboot back up from the bootable installer after doing a disk clean.

Translated its "We could not install Windows on the location you have selected. Check the media drive. You can find more information here: 0x80300001." 
I will try to reboot. 

5 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Reboot worked. It's now installing windows on the SSD. 
Thanks. 

I guess that once its done i can just put in the HDD instead and clean like i cleaned this one? And then boot from the ssd? :)

Just now, L0gic said:

Reboot worked. It's now installing windows on the SSD. 
Thanks. 

I guess that once its done i can just put in the HDD instead and clean like i cleaned this one? And then boot from the ssd? :)

Because you're installing on the SSD, it should now boot from the SSD everytime, unless you originally installed it on the HDD.

In that case, I'd boot up from the SSD, then plug in the HDD, and run through the same diskpart commands once you're in Windows.

Just be sure to select the HDD and not your SSD disk.

8 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Because you're installing on the SSD, it should now boot from the SSD everytime, unless you originally installed it on the HDD.

In that case, I'd boot up from the SSD, then plug in the HDD, and run through the same diskpart commands once you're in Windows.

Will do! Thanks!

25 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Also, i guess i can use the same to wipe my USB stick? 

3 minutes ago, L0gic said:

Also, i guess i can use the same to wipe my USB stick? 

Yes, just keep in mind it's only doing a soft partition wipe. Anyone with data recovery software will be able to retrieve all the data that was on the device prior to the cleaning process.

Just now, kirashi said:

Yes, just keep in mind it's only doing a soft partition wipe. Anyone with data recovery software will be able to retrieve all the data that was on the device prior to the cleaning process.

oh. 
I am selling that pc. 
Is the other process hard/complicated? 

Just now, L0gic said:

oh. 
I am selling that pc. 
Is the other process hard/complicated? 

You'll need a utility that is capable of such things. I'd recommend using on of the guides from HowToGeek linked below.

http://www.howtogeek.com/213295/how-to-wipe-securely-erase-your-devices-before-disposing-of-or-selling-them/

After you've wiped your disks you can again reinstall windows freshly for the next person.

1 minute ago, kirashi said:

You'll need a utility that is capable of such things. I'd recommend using on of the guides from HowToGeek linked below.

http://www.howtogeek.com/213295/how-to-wipe-securely-erase-your-devices-before-disposing-of-or-selling-them/

After you've wiped your disks you can again reinstall windows freshly for the next person.

Thank you very mutch! :)