Need help choosing motherboard and ram

Hi everyone!

So I asked in a french tech forum what they thought about this build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/dylyinyang/saved/ (purpose: mostly games )

And they were like "Oh what are you doing?? You need ram with 3200mhz or at least 3000mhz!"

Is that really true ? Also do I really need a motherboard for that price ? Because my budget is burning at this point. I don't need a whole bunch of features, I just need to plug a USB key:S. So if I can get a just as good motherboard cheaper I could get a real cpu cooler...

Keep in mind I'm not a expert, no where near that. I heard you guys were a great community so I came here!

Feel free to criticize anything in this build!

Thanks!

1 minute ago, Dylyinyang said:

Hi everyone!

So I asked in a french tech forum what they thought about this build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/dylyinyang/saved/ (purpose: mostly games )

And they were like "Oh what are you doing?? You need ram with 3200mhz or at least 3000mhz!"

Is that really true ? Also do I really need a motherboard for that price ? Because my budget is burning at this point. I don't need a whole bunch of features, I just need to plug a USB key:S. So if I can get a just as good motherboard cheaper I could get a real cpu cooler...

Keep in mind I'm not a expert, no where near that. I heard you guys were a great community so I came here!

Feel free to criticize anything in this build!

Thanks!

You don't need ram that fast. It can help, but for gaming it won't matter that much. You'd see an improvement most likely, but not a worthwhile one. As for the motherboard, no, you don't need to spend that much. The rest is mostly personal choice, but a heads up. The 6600k will bottleneck a 1080.

I did some research and apparently the 6600k should be fine.

If I don't need a motherboard for that price what could I get cheaper with that ram or another one ? ( I really can't choose for the motherboard, way too much choices and too confusing )

You can get 2400MHz RAM no problem. That's a pretty good price range for gaming motherboards honestly, but there's the MSI Gaming M3 Z170 if you want another brand.

6600k should be fine for most games, just not stuff like GTAV where it's more CPU-bound. Perhaps consider buying a 1070? The 1080 is too much overkill for 1920x1080 anyway - stuff like the 1060 is made for that. The 1070 is enough overkill for you I think ;).

CPU: i7 6700k (4.7 GHz) | GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW (OC) | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S | Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB WD Black | RAM: 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LED (White) 3000MHz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU: Corsair RM850i | WiFi Card: TPLink Archer T9E | Case Fans: Noctua iPPC-2000 PWM (3x 120mm in), 2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm (radiator, painted black), Fractal Venturi HP-14 (1x 140mm out)  | OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

2 minutes ago, arch_linuxos said:

You can get 2400MHz RAM no problem. That's a pretty good price range for gaming motherboards honestly, but there's the MSI Gaming M3 Z170 if you want another brand

ok but the motherboard doesn't really matter in performance right ? It just need to be compatible with the rest. So why not take a cheaper motherboard like around 100 $ ?

Just now, Dylyinyang said:

ok but the motherboard doesn't really matter in performance right ? It just need to be compatible with the rest. So why not take a cheaper motherboard like around 100 $ ?

It doesn't matter for actual performance, no. The only reasons to not go super cheap are 1) Power delivery/phases for more stable overclocking 2) Those boards might not have all the features you want. If you're getting a 6600k, I assume you want to OC, so I'd just make sure whatever board you get is known to be decent for overclocking. And make sure it has all the ports, fan headers, usb headers, integrated audio, etc. that you want.

CPU: i7 6700k (4.7 GHz) | GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW (OC) | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S | Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB WD Black | RAM: 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LED (White) 3000MHz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU: Corsair RM850i | WiFi Card: TPLink Archer T9E | Case Fans: Noctua iPPC-2000 PWM (3x 120mm in), 2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm (radiator, painted black), Fractal Venturi HP-14 (1x 140mm out)  | OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

1 minute ago, Dylyinyang said:

Heck, you could get one for $50 as long as it was compatible. Go ahead and take one for $100, I just recommend getting a Z board since you got a K CPU.

3 minutes ago, arch_linuxos said:

It doesn't matter for actual performance, no. The only reasons to not go super cheap are 1) Power delivery/phases for more stable overclocking 2) Those boards might not have all the features you want. If you're getting a 6600k, I assume you want to OC, so I'd just make sure whatever board you get is known to be decent for overclocking. And make sure it has all the ports, fan headers, usb headers, integrated audio, etc. that you want.

3 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Heck, you could get one for $50 as long as it was compatible. Go ahead and take one for $100, I just recommend getting a Z board since you got a K CPU.

so have you a decent one between 80-120 $ ? Or should I just stick with this one instead ?

(sorry if what I say may want you to tear my face appart :)

3 minutes ago, Dylyinyang said:

so have you a decent one between 80-120 $ ? Or should I just stick with this one instead ?

(sorry if what I say may want you to tear my face appart :)

Here's another.

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/yLPzK8/msi-motherboard-z170asliplus

Thanks ! you rock!

Is there anything wrong with the build. Or is it all good ?

7 minutes ago, Dylyinyang said:

Thanks ! you rock!

Is there anything wrong with the build. Or is it all good ?

Looks good to me.