What should I upgrade for streaming (budget)

My current specs : 

i5 3470 @ 3.20GHz

8gb ram @ 1300mhz

GA-B75M-D3V

Amd hd 7850

Games I want to stream are simple games like LoL, Overwatch etc. I cant decide between the rx 480 or 1060, but whenever I stream its just skipping frames and I dont know if I have to buy a new cpu or if its my current graphics card. Help is appreciated

what about your internet? What's your upload speed?

7 minutes ago, Pleo said:

My current specs : 

i5 3470 @ 3.20GHz

8gb ram @ 1300mhz

GA-B75M-D3V

Amd hd 7850

Games I want to stream are simple games like LoL, Overwatch etc. I cant decide between the rx 480 or 1060, but whenever I stream its just skipping frames and I dont know if I have to buy a new cpu or if its my current graphics card. Help is appreciated

Look for a 3770 or get the 1231 v3. Also, go for the 1060

It depends on your monitor's resolution.  If it's a 1080p, go for the RX 480, but if you have a 1440p monitor, go for the 1060.

10 minutes ago, Cooper148523 said:

This may be a network issue.

What are your upload/download speeds?

check here.

Capture.PNG

Good speeds.

How exactly are you streaming these games? 

-from local library on PC to same PC

-Library to external device (steam machine, NVIDIA SHIELD, etc.)

-From library PC to secndary PC or Laptop?

the more information the better.

Just now, Cooper148523 said:

Good speeds.

How exactly are you streaming these games? 

-from local library on PC to same PC

-Library to external device (steam machine, NVIDIA SHIELD, etc.)

-From library PC to secndary PC or Laptop?

the more information the better.

I'm not really sure, but I'm using OBS to stream on twitch. Like the gameplay is kinda smooth, still low fps for my liking but on Twitch it looks really choppy and it's skipping frames. I'm thinking its my CPU but my GPU is also pretty darn bad.

3 minutes ago, Pleo said:

my GPU is also pretty darn bad.

I definitely agree there. I have a 7850 and I'm going to upgrade it very soon. It's really showing its age.

Ok, my slight misunderstanding.

Since your speeds are great, its definately going to be a GPU/CPU intensive task. 

When actually streaming have you ever checked to see what kind of loads your putting on your CPU and GPU? 

-To check your CPU load the easiest way without downloading some extra software is going to be windows Task Manager.

-For the GPU the software it came with is a decent start to see if it has a utility to check, but im not the best source for that one.

If OBS is using up most or all of your CPU, it might be time to upgrade that. if your running an older GPU, it might be wise to upgrade that just for the sheer performance boost outside of streaming.

Yeah I figured. I'm just kinda worried that my old i5 3470 is going to bottleneck a rx 480 or 1060. Im not the kind of guy who wants to play gta 5 on ultra, I play mostly competitive games on 1080p and every setting on low. All im looking for is an up to date GPU that can maintain 200fps+ constantly. The only reason why I really dont want to upgrade my cpu is because i'd have to get a new motherboard aswell and i'm on a budget :(

Just now, Pleo said:

Yeah I figured. I'm just kinda worried that my old i5 3470 is going to bottleneck a rx 480 or 1060. Im not the kind of guy who wants to play gta 5 on ultra, I play mostly competitive games on 1080p and every setting on low. All im looking for is an up to date GPU that can maintain 200fps+ constantly. The only reason why I really dont want to upgrade my cpu is because i'd have to get a new motherboard aswell and i'm on a budget :(

Then you could wait for the RX 470 or get an R9 380. Some of the 4GB 380s are decent prices.

1 minute ago, JFischer00 said:

Then you could wait for the RX 470 or get an R9 380. Some of the 4GB 380s are decent prices.

Does RAM have an impact on gaming performance? Because lately i've been getting high framerates but still getting some sort of fps lag, I cant really explain it but its like i get 150fps but it totally doesn't feel like 150fps. My ram speed is 1300mhz  

1 minute ago, Cooper148523 said:

what kind of budget are you looking at? I can do some digging.

I'm from the Netherlands, so I'm not sure if you can help me but my budget is around 350 euro's, which is like ~400 dollars

Just now, Pleo said:

Does RAM have an impact on gaming performance? Because lately i've been getting high framerates but still getting some sort of fps lag, I cant really explain it but its like i get 150fps but it totally doesn't feel like 150fps. My ram speed is 1300mhz  

Short answer: no

Long answer: RAM speed basically doesn't matter, except with APUs. Check this video for more info.

7 minutes ago, Pleo said:

I don't quite understand how 150 FPS are felt. Which screen do you have? I'm not aware of gaming monitors beyond 144Hz, which means that at best you'll see 144FPS. Most screens are still 60Hz, which means you either use vsync to keep it at 60FPS or face the risk of tearing.

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I don't quite understand how 150 FPS are felt. Which screen do you have? I'm not aware of gaming monitors beyond 144Hz, which means that at best you'll see 144FPS. Most screens are still 60Hz, which means you either use vsync to keep it at 60FPS or face the risk of tearing.

144Hz screen. Vsync is definitely NEVER an option for me because of the input lag it provides

3 minutes ago, Pleo said:

144Hz screen. Vsync is definitely NEVER an option for me because of the input lag it provides

Then you'll see no difference from 144FPS onwards.

Coming back to streaming, what is the format of your output? You may be generating and viewing 144FPS in your screen, but is it also what you send outwards or it gets "compressed" to something else? For example, if I was watching you game, I would not be able to see more than 60FPS anyway, so it would make sense to send me a signal of lesser quality than the one in your monitor.

9 minutes ago, Pleo said:

I'm from the Netherlands, so I'm not sure if you can help me but my budget is around 350 euro's, which is like ~400 dollars

ok, so to spring for a 1060 or a 480 you are already eating up well over half of your budget, but you you might have to deal with the potential of your CPU bottle-necking when when trying to capture video and export it over the network. to upgrade to a new CPU and motherboard you are going to use most of that budget as well, without room for a new GPU.

Upgrading your CPU only with a new GPU may be too expensive as well, as the higher the variant of chip-set the more cost prohibitive it may be, especially on an older motherboard like yours.

My official Recommendation:

Either upgrade your motherboard and CPU and roll with the same GPU and you should be able to eliminate the CPU bottleneck, OR save your money up to upgrade the 3 parts you need.

Take that as you will with a grain of salt. I AM NOT AN EXPERT ON THIS, but from what i DO know, this may be the way to go.

3 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Then you'll see no difference from 144FPS onwards.

Coming back to streaming, what is the format of your output? You may be generating and viewing 144FPS in your screen, but is it also what you send outwards or it gets "compressed" to something else? For example, if I was watching you game, I would not be able to see more than 60FPS anyway, so it would make sense to send me a signal of lesser quality than the one in your monitor.

I may have Forgotten to consider the above.