ECC memory

Go to solution Solved by SLAYR,

It does nothing for gaming and only xeons, some i3s, and pentiums support it, your motherboard also has to support it as well.

I am considering buying some new ram (16gb) for my machine which currently has 8gb's of ram but I see that some , generally more expensive, ram had ecc. I know what it is and does but I couldn't find anything online about what it does for gamers and gaming performance and whether I dish out more cash for the extra security?

Thank you.

It does nothing for gaming and only xeons, some i3s, and pentiums support it, your motherboard also has to support it as well.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Chances are your board and/or CPU do not support ECC. It has basically no benefit for gamers and can actually decrease performance (theoretically) if you're using buffered ECC. 

It's used for situations where a crash or error in RAM can have catastrophic consequences. Gamers don't really have the need for it. 

3 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

Do you know how I tell if my motherboard and cpu support ecc? 

Thank you

5 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

What about the 8350 ? I think it supports ECC too.

7 minutes ago, WhatAmIDoingHere said:

Do you know how I tell if my motherboard and cpu support ecc? 

Thank you

What cpu/motherboard do you have?

6 minutes ago, Marmaran_1 said:

It does look like any fx series cpu has ecc support, am3+ motherboards with ecc support might be a problem though.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

2 hours ago, Marmaran_1 said:

FX CPUs and compatible mobos only support unbuffered ECC RAm, though, so they won't work with typical buffered ECC server RAM.