How do I kill windows defender.

Elclid

I need a way to completely remove windows anti virus. You can turn off real time protection in the settings but then it just turns its self back on eventually. I need to remove it and all virus notifications.

Window Defender was a pain in the ass. I finally figured out how kill it.  machine ran so much better without it. If I could remember how I would share it.......... might have had to boot in safe mode and dig into the registry on that one?

4 minutes ago, MrDrWho13 said:

But... why?

A lot of the stuff i have on my computer windows thinks is a virus and if i have a virus i know i do and i can use something like malwarebytes

But but but you need an antivirus. I'm running Bitdefender instead.

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

I've never had a single issue with Windows Defender?

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

1 minute ago, Kierax said:

I've never had a single issue with Windows Defender?

Then you don't download sketchy stuff

Just now, Elclid said:

Then you don't download sketchy stuff

If it has a "false"  detection, you can just ignore it? 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Just now, Kierax said:

If it has a "false"  detection, you can just ignore it? 

Yes. But that gets really annoying 

Lol welcome viruses welcome

Just now, YedZed said:

Lol welcome viruses welcome

Not really. Im going to use something not so annoying like malwarebytes.

Just now, Elclid said:

Not really. Im going to use something not so annoying like malwarebytes.

All right. Does that cover anti virus as well?

2 minutes ago, Elclid said:

Yes. But that gets really annoying 

So you want an AV which is basically not as good as Defender, but that detects a few things... yet leaves your system open to being infected, which in turns means you have to re-download or install more sketchy stuff which in turn re-creates the vicious cycle.  

Just now, YedZed said:

All right. Does that cover anti virus as well?

Pretty sure it doesnt

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Just now, Kierax said:

So you want an AV which is basically not as good as Defender, but that detects a few things... yet leaves your system open to being infected, which in turns means you have to re-download or install more sketchy stuff which in turn re-creates the vicious cycle.  stuff which in turn re-creates the vicious cycle. 

Well malwarebytes works for me.

Just now, Nexxus said:

Pretty sure it doesnt

Well then, like I said, welcome viruses welcome

1 minute ago, Elclid said:

Well malwarebytes works for me.

Correct me here if I am wrong, but MalwareBytes is not as good as an active AV checking incoming executable files or compressed files.

Just now, Kierax said:

Correct me here if I am wrong, but MalwareBytes is not as good as an active AV checking incoming executable files or compressed files.

The thing about that is that i don't want my files to be constantly scanned because I frequently am getting new files that I know that aren't harmful but defender thinks they are. So i just want something that I can scan my computer when I want to. For some people defender is the best option but not for me.

3 minutes ago, Elclid said:

The thing about that is that i don't want my files to be constantly scanned because I frequently am getting new files that I know that aren't harmful but defender thinks they are. So i just want something that I can scan my computer when I want to. For some people defender is the best option but not for me.

I can see your point here.  However you are leaving yourself wide open to being hit by an actual harmful file, that before you can scan with MalwareBytes could compromise your computer.  Ransomware is just one example. 

1 hour ago, Wikiforce said:

stop being morons, i torrent stuff all the time and never really got hit by any virus in years. Expect when i downloaded windows 10 ux theme patcher few months ago which wasn't really threatening and got rid of it by deleting files manually.

Oh yeh, I downloaded a couple of free games one summer when I was a kid and it quite literally crippled the computer. I don't think that viruses are a myth.

1 hour ago, Wikiforce said:

stop being morons, i torrent stuff all the time and never really got hit by any virus in years. Expect when i downloaded windows 10 ux theme patcher few months ago which wasn't really threatening and got rid of it by deleting files manually.

One person's experience does not vouch for all the files and known viruses and other undesired pieces of software that exist on the internet.  You can be stung with ransomware while just running a business from a seemingly customers email asking for tech support on an item and attaching a picture.  

The main point is, you can never be 100% definite, but if you are willing to risk your files, or have backups, and do not require the machine for work etc, then go right ahead.