Monitor upgrade help needed

squidgyness

Hello! I am in the market for a new monitor in the next few months, and thought this forum seems like a great place to get help. I have a few conundrums, specs for my gaming rig are in my sig, monitor model is a iiyama prolite e2773hs at the moment. 1080p/60hz/1ms/TN.

So I was wondering what monitor format to upgrade to and had some thoughts that I could use reviewing/help on:

RE: Size/Budget: I am using a 27" monitor and could go up to 34" perhaps. Budget is £300-400. Could go to 500 at a push. Conclusion: 27-34" + £300-400.

RE: 1080p/1440p/4k. With a 390x atm, I was leaning towards 1080/1440. That said, I will likely be upgrading my graphics card in a little while. Most likely to a 1070/1080, but I might see what AMD will be offering - though I've heard 2017 is the most likely release date for their new higher end cards. Conclusion: 1080p/144hz or 1440p.

By the way, does anyone know how 1440p monitors would cope with 1080p video watching? I know gaming at 1080p can be a little skewiff on the visuals due to pixels not lining up perfectly.

RE: TN/IPS: Currently using a TN display, dont have a problem with it, though I have heard IPS is better. Given I play a lot of BF4 (and will be playing BF1) and other games with things flying about, would an IPS keep up given its slower response times? I don't want any blur or other effects like that if possible but if the colours are that much better I might be tempted. I have heard that backlight bleed is an issue, is this something to be worried about? Conlusion: Either.

RE: G-Sync/Freesync: I have looked into this and I am scared that I might have to be locked into an ecosystem. I have a 390x but will be looking to upgrade and honestly I am tempted to switch back to nvidia... however, freesync monitors are cheaper from what I have seen.

Do I gamble on AMD coming up trumps with the 490 etc and go for freesync, or shell out a little more on g-sync right now and switch to nvidia in a few months? Will g-sync have issues with my 390x till I switch? Or do I wait and upgrade my graphics card first?

TL,DR: I need recommendations on a 1080p/144hz or 1440p monitor for FPS gaming, general web surfing/netflixing etc. But I also need some advice on what to do in terms of Free/G-Sync. 27"+, £300-500 max.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give as much information as I could for people to help me. If you have any questions that you need answering to help me just ask and I'll try to answer as best I can.

Current Specs:

Gaming Rig: i7 6700k | ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming | XFX DD 390X | 16gb DDR4 3000mhz | 500gb SSD | 27" 1080p 60hz

Netflix/Couch Rig: i3 6320 | ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming | 8gb DDR4 2400mhz | 250gb SSD | 36" FHD TV