Deciding Between Aftermarket GTX 1070s

I've basically entirely planned out my PC build, the only thing I am having trouble on is deciding which of the aftermarket GTX 1070s to go with. It's down to three; the Gigabyte G1, the Asus ROG Strix O8G, and the EVGA FTW O8G. I'm currently leaning towards the Asus card but I'm very much open to the other 2.

Price points are somewhat comparable, with the Gigabyte being the cheapest, listed at $430 on NewEgg, while the EVGA and Asus sit at $460 and $470 respectively. I like the design for all of them so aesthetically its a wash.

Asus listed core clock speed is 1632 MHz in gaming mode and 1657 MHz in OC mode, and lists a boost clock of 1835 MHz in gaming mode and 1860 MHz in OC mode

EVGA listed core clock speed is 1607 MHz, and lists a boost clock of 1797 MHz

Gigabyte listed core clock speed is 1594 MHz in gaming mode and 1620 MHz in OC mode, and lists a boost clock of 1784 MHz in gaming mode and 1822 MHz in OC mode

(I know that OC potential really depends on the specific card and every individual card is different but I figured I would provide that info here anyway.)

The main differences between them other than listed clock speeds are that the Asus and Gigabyte cards are a 3 fan design while the EVGA is a 2 fan design, and that the Gigabyte and EVGA cards come with 3 DisplayPort 1.4 ports and 1 HDMI 2.0 port while the Asus comes with 2 DisplayPort 1.4 ports and 2 HDMI 2.0 ports. If I choose to move into VR the Asus card seems better equipped for that with the additional HDMI port.

All feature a 3 year warranty, who has better/more reliable customer service? This is a significant amount of money and should something go wrong I don't want dealing with it to be a hassle (at least any more of a hassle than dealing with broken products already is).

Thanks for any advice, if you own one of these 3 cards let me know how you like it.

EVGA

I'm a educated fool with money on my mind.

They say i got to learn but nobody here to teach me,if they can't understand it how can they reach me

Power and the money,money and the power,minute after minute,hour after hour

My Motivation

4 minutes ago, JustALittleHazy said:

I've basically entirely planned out my PC build, the only thing I am having trouble on is deciding which of the aftermarket GTX 1070s to go with. It's down to three; the Gigabyte G1, the Asus ROG Strix O8G, and the EVGA FTW O8G. I'm currently leaning towards the Asus card but I'm very much open to the other 2.

Price points are somewhat comparable, with the Gigabyte being the cheapest, listed at $430 on NewEgg, while the EVGA and Asus sit at $460 and $470 respectively. I like the design for all of them so aesthetically its a wash.

Asus listed core clock speed is 1632 MHz in gaming mode and 1657 MHz in OC mode, and lists a boost clock of 1835 MHz in gaming mode and 1860 MHz in OC mode

Gigabyte listed core clock speed is 1594 MHz in gaming mode and 1620 MHz in OC mode, and lists a boost clock of 1784 MHz in gaming mode and 1822 MHz in OC mode

(I know that OC potential really depends on the specific card and every individual card is different but I figured I would provide that info here anyway.)

The main differences between them other than listed clock speeds are that the Asus and Gigabyte cards are a 3 fan design while the EVGA is a 2 fan design, and that the Gigabyte and EVGA cards come with 3 DisplayPort 1.4 ports and 1 HDMI 2.0 port while the Asus comes with 2 DisplayPort 1.4 ports and 2 HDMI 2.0 ports. If I choose to move into VR the Asus card seems better equipped for that with the additional HDMI port.

All feature a 3 year warranty, who has better/more reliable customer service? This is a significant amount of money and should something go wrong I don't want dealing with it to be a hassle (at least any more of a hassle than dealing with broken products already is).

Thanks for any advice, if you own one of these 3 cards let me know how you like it.

EVGA all the way. Asus has Customer Service issues and will hamper you in the event you need an RMA on the card. I have had 2 EVGA cards previously as had to do 1 RMA due to faulty VRAM and it went effortlessly and painlessly. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

EVGA is the best of NVIDIA cards (and PSUs) with legendary support.

The ASUS Strix edition cards have the best cooling so they get the most out of GPU boost and are good for overclocking that so you should consider that. And it has RGB lighting!

Honestly... the Asus / EVGA cards aren't worth the 30 / 40$ extra over the Gigabyte card. While you could argue in favor of those 2, I still feel like you shouldn't pay the price difference.

Go with the GA card if you like it.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Out of those three, I'd go with EVGA FTW. Support wise, EVGA is the best. Plus GPU boost will pretty much automatically boost all 1070s to over 1900MHz. I had a Gaming X from MSI and it reached 1976MHz with GPU boost and my FTW hit 1970MHz so I would say almost every card can reach 2000 with manual tuning granted you don't lose the silicon lottery. Gigabyte if you want to save money but by far that card has the most complaints of coil whine of all the 1070 models so keep that in mind.

EVGA is the best for it's customer service.

You can modify that GPU and they won't mind.

Other companis ... use waterblock on it and you can forget about your warranty.

EVGA all the way!

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

2 hours ago, JustALittleHazy said:

telling you right now. EVGA FTW will clock it's self to 1900ish under load, that is what mine does currently. 

also EVGA has a pretty fucking rad customer service system, if you register your card on their site, with the warranty it would be fairly easy to replace it.

i've had EVGA the entire time i've been into computers and frankly i love them, i would seriously recommend them.

Just go for the Gigabyte one. It is just as good as the others and after the mistakes EVGA made in the 900 series like the EVGA 970 SC I they clearly aren't the best card nor support company anymore. Gigabyte has shown they can build quality, top performing cards. Just look at their 980ti G1. It was arguably the best one you could buy.  

Asus has improved since last gen and is also a good option. Have you looked at the Zotac Amp addition? Zotac makes great cards too! 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

Get whatever 1070 that is affordable for you currently. Also if you really like the looks of one over the other go for that one. At the end of the day you are the one that is going to be enjoying the card.

On 8/1/2016 at 11:17 PM, Simon771 said:

EVGA is the best for it's customer service.

You can modify that GPU and they won't mind.

Other companis ... use waterblock on it and you can forget about your warranty.

EVGA all the way!

Insert clip of every time ASUS saved linus when he cant make a build work

I just picked up an MSI gaming x 1070 and it's fantastic.

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers