I scratched my Asus PG279Q

OddsCrazyStuff
Go to solution Solved by OddsCrazyStuff,
4 minutes ago, Tech Lover said:

dont want to be the bearer of bad news, but the Painted on thing is even worst, this confirms its panel. dead pixels if u will. 

and yes its possible to damage the panel without damaging the protective film. its there mostly to reduce dust and to reduce glare. some people actually dont like it and remove it right away. especially if u use monitor in very dark room. 

anyhow, all the shit they say about protective films and gorilla glasses and what not is FALSE! its utter bull crap. 

sorry for ur loss, but its ur own mistake, should have been more careful.

if u have warranty talk to them. if not, and u think its not too big of a mark, deal with it. i would not recommend selling it right away. u would not get much out of it anyways why not keep it.

Never mind, turned out it was paint from the side panel.

I just used some hot water on it, to see if I could reduce it, and it went away.

So bullet dodged and lesson learned.

So I just made the biggest mistake ever and dismantled a case near my Asus PG279Q, which of course lead to a stubborn panel hitting my monitor.

The scratch only shows up against light backgrounds and is about 2 cm long.

Is there anyway to tell if I damaged the panel or just the coating?

And does any screen scratch repair kit work or do I need a specific type?

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

8 minutes ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

So I just made the biggest mistake ever and dismantled a case near my Asus PG279Q, which of course lead to a stubborn panel hitting my monitor.

The scratch only shows up against light backgrounds and is about 2 cm long.

Is there anyway to tell if I damaged the panel or just the coating?

And does any screen scratch repair kit work or do I need a specific type?

Why_would_you_do_that_template.jpg

show some pics may be from front and also from a little angle, only then we can tell it here online without looking

(although that light background thing tells me its panel but not sure yet)

Current Rig: Intel core i7 4770K Stock 4.5G, Asus Maximus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 16Gb (8Gx2), 2x SLi Gigabyte Geforce GTX 670 2Gb GDDR5 3X Windforce Edition, Corsair Hydro Series H100i (Push), JDS LABS O2/ODAC combo, Fiio E18 KUNLUN, Asus Xonar Essence STX (secondary PC), Sennheiser HD700, Hifiman HE 400i, Beyerdynamics DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm, Sennheiser HD 518, Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 850W 80+, Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced, Samsun4g DVD R/W Combo, 3X Cooler Master 120mm Blue LED fans, LG IPS 23EA73, Logitech G710 BLUE, BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 Edition,Logitech G402 HYPERION FURY, Bloody Core V7, SteelSeries QcK Mass MiBR mouse pad

14 minutes ago, Tech Lover said:

show some pics may be from front and also from a little angle, only then we can tell it here online without looking

(although that light background thing tells me its panel but not sure yet)

Not that easy taking images of the screen, but here are some.

P1020328.JPGP1020332.JPG

Black background, max ISO on my camera, cursor on scratch.

P1020338.JPG

if u can feel the "scratch" of the scratch (i mean if the monitor protective/mat coating is scratches) its not a big deal. if u look very closely under bright light (mobile phone flash light or something brighter) and u see the see the screen naked (cause of the scuff) and u STILL see that line thingy on bright images like white, that would mean its panel. its really hard to tell like this. but im more inclined towards panal damage.

Current Rig: Intel core i7 4770K Stock 4.5G, Asus Maximus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 16Gb (8Gx2), 2x SLi Gigabyte Geforce GTX 670 2Gb GDDR5 3X Windforce Edition, Corsair Hydro Series H100i (Push), JDS LABS O2/ODAC combo, Fiio E18 KUNLUN, Asus Xonar Essence STX (secondary PC), Sennheiser HD700, Hifiman HE 400i, Beyerdynamics DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm, Sennheiser HD 518, Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 850W 80+, Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced, Samsun4g DVD R/W Combo, 3X Cooler Master 120mm Blue LED fans, LG IPS 23EA73, Logitech G710 BLUE, BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 Edition,Logitech G402 HYPERION FURY, Bloody Core V7, SteelSeries QcK Mass MiBR mouse pad

You'll likely have to learn to live with it.

Ya_30d002_898402.jpg

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

I think you are SOL. only thing I can think is maybe asus would replace it for a shit load of money. or sell it for like $200 and buy a new one since it's value has plumeted.

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

2 minutes ago, Tech Lover said:

if u can feel the "scratch" of the scratch (i mean if the monitor protective/mat coating is scratches) its not a big deal. if u look very closely under bright light (mobile phone flash light or something brighter) and u see the see the screen naked (cause of the scuff) and u STILL see that line thingy on bright images like white, that would mean its panel. its really hard to tell like this. but im more inclined towards panal damage.

I cant feel it and it looks more like its painted on.

Is it possible to damage the panel without damaging the protective film?

13 minutes ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

I cant feel it and it looks more like its painted on.

Is it possible to damage the panel without damaging the protective film?

-

4 minutes ago, Tech Lover said:

dont want to be the bearer of bad news, but the Painted on thing is even worst, this confirms its panel. dead pixels if u will. 

and yes its possible to damage the panel without damaging the protective film. its there mostly to reduce dust and to reduce glare. some people actually dont like it and remove it right away. especially if u use monitor in very dark room. 

anyhow, all the shit they say about protective films and gorilla glasses and what not is FALSE! its utter bull crap. 

sorry for ur loss, but its ur own mistake, should have been more careful.

if u have warranty talk to them. if not, and u think its not too big of a mark, deal with it. i would not recommend selling it right away. u would not get much out of it anyways why not keep it.

I just used some hot water on it, to see if I could reduce it, and it went away.

2 minutes ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

Pick six numbers for the lottery.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Just now, Kierax said:

Pick six numbers for the lottery.

I think I already used up all my luck, when the screen was fine.