RX 480 or a R9 390

JmessGaming

the Powercolor RX 480 Devil will be the best RX 480 and coming in second will be the Sapphire Nitro

MSI is in the middle

And Asus is the worst of the lot

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

RX 480 = less power hungry R9 390 in my view.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

21 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

RX 480 = less power hungry R9 390 in my view.

true

21 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

the Powercolor RX 480 Devil will be the best RX 480 and coming in second will be the Sapphire Nitro

MSI is in the middle

aibs are coming out in 2222.lol

Just now, JmessGaming said:

aibs are coming out in 2222.lol

actually some independent review of the above GPU are on the net and youtube

Tech of Tommorow have the Devil's RX 480

We now have 2 confirmed RX 480 Devil review

and one Asus Strix review

and lots of Sapphire Nitro reviews

only missing now is MSI

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I am actually surprised AMD hasn't adjusted the price of the 390 given how they're doing a fairly crappy job at keeping Polaris in stock anyway. More over they haven't adjusted the pricing on the Fiji cards either and the 1070 basically has no competition at all from AMD and won't have any for a good 5 more months or so? Perhaps longer considering as I said they're not doing good at keeping up with demand (which is in fairness to their side, fairly significant, but still)

Back on topic: I wouldn't go for a 390 unless you can find a Sapphire Nitro or Sapphire Tri x for about 250 bucks. Anything over that is basically pointless vs the 480 even if it takes you considerably longer to get your hands on them. But I expect price drops (for AMD's own sake really) on the 390s and Furys any day now.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I am actually surprised AMD hasn't adjusted the price of the 390 given how they're doing a fairly crappy job at keeping Polaris in stock anyway. More over they haven't adjusted the pricing on the Fiji cards either and the 1070 basically has no competition at all from AMD and won't have any for a good 5 more months or so? Perhaps longer considering as I said they're not doing good at keeping up with demand (which is in fairness to their side, fairly significant, but still)

Back on topic: I wouldn't go for a 390 unless you can find a Sapphire Nitro or Sapphire Tri x for about 250 bucks. Anything over that is basically pointless vs the 480 even if it takes you considerably longer to get your hands on them. But I expect price drops (for AMD's own sake really) on the 390s and Furys any day now.

thanks for being on topic...and how much do youthink it will drop because the only reason I'm making this thread Is because I found both at microcenter for ~250$

5 minutes ago, JmessGaming said:

thanks for being on topic...and how much do youthink it will drop because the only reason I'm making this thread Is because I found both at microcenter for ~250$

Actually that's likely a limited offer but I expect the prices to drop to 250 for all of them everywhere (not just microcenter) and the Fury and Fury X to drop to 380ish and 450 bucks respectively to deal with the 1070 for now.

250 for a new 390, if it's a nice model (Any sapphire for example) I would definitively get specially if you have a decent PSU to deal with it already.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

I am actually surprised AMD hasn't adjusted the price of the 390 given how they're doing a fairly crappy job at keeping Polaris in stock anyway. More over they haven't adjusted the pricing on the Fiji cards either and the 1070 basically has no competition at all from AMD and won't have any for a good 5 more months or so?

Amen.  I really want a 1070.  However, should the 390s sell for like $200 a piece, I'd pick up 2 for CF and say no thanks to the 1070.

2 hours ago, dragoon20005 said:

actually some independent review of the above GPU are on the net and youtube

Tech of Tommorow have the Devil's RX 480

We now have 2 confirmed RX 480 Devil review

and one Asus Strix review

and lots of Sapphire Nitro reviews

only missing now is MSI

There is a review of the MSI RX 480 Gaming X on guru3d.

2 hours ago, dragoon20005 said:

MSI is in the middle

Nope. Nitro 480 is the worst 480 so far.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

I gave up waiting for a 480 and got a 390. They perform basically the same. The 480 is better at GameWorks games with obnoxious amounts of tessellation, but the 390 is better at 1440p which is useful if you want to use VSR. As long as you're not buying a Gigabyte or Asus 390, you should be fine. If you have more patience than I do, it's fine to wait for a PowerColor or XFX DD 480. Strix is better than the Nitro, but its price isn't justified.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit