Major skype lag in calls

fuzedzn

Hi,

Recently i have noticed that skype lags for a while (The program not the call quality) when i am in a call (ringing, during and when its ended).. 

I looked on the skype help and they recommended a fresh install and to clear my skype folder from the appdata folder...

I have followed these steps and i still have the problem..

I can't seem to find any other solution to this on their help/forums so i was wondering if anyone here could help

Thanks

- Fuze

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

skype is a real internet hog, if you have slow internet thats going to happen

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

What's your internet speed? That might be the problem, especially if your having problems while beginning a call

skype is a real internet hog, if you have slow internet thats going to happen

Well its like the program is lagging (not the quality of the call)

But my down is 2MB and my up is 0.12MB (always been as slow since i moved here)

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

It's Skype for a start so don't expect a good quality of service lol, but in all seriousness I expect it's just bandwidth-hogging like the others said.

Side-note: in case you weren't aware, MB (megabyte) and Mb (megabit) are actually different; I can discern here that you mean Mb/s not MB/s, but it might cause confusion in future lol. 1MB = 8Mb.

Yeah probably just slow internet. I have the same with on average 1.6Mbps down and 0.4Mbps up

It's Skype for a start so don't expect a good quality of service lol, but in all seriousness I expect it's just bandwidth-hogging like the others said.

Side-note: in case you weren't aware, MB (megabyte) and Mb (megabit) are actually different; I can discern here that you mean Mb/s not MB/s, but it might cause confusion in future lol. 1MB = 8Mb.

No i was talking about Mega Bytes not megabits... 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

Yeah probably just slow internet. I have the same with on average 1.6Mbps down and 0.4Mbps up

But how would the network make the program lag?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

Your 2mbps down and .12 mpbs up is extremely slow. The FCC defines broadband being at least "1 to 4 mbps" and even that is considered bottom tier. Don't expect to be using services that use much bandwidth on your current internet connection. Hopefully someone in your area offers faster service.

No i was talking about Mega Bytes not megabits... 

You're mistaken, internet speed is always measured using Mbps (megabits per second) as opposed to MB (which is a metric for file size).

Your 2mbps down and .12 mpbs up is extremely slow. The FCC defines broadband being at least "1 to 4 mbps" and even that is considered bottom tier. Don't expect to be using services that use much bandwidth on your current internet connection. Hopefully someone in your area offers faster service.

If you re-read.. i have 2MB/s down and .12MB up not Mbps... I know what im talking about when i look at my network speed lol...

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

You're mistaken, internet speed is always measured using Mbps (megabits per second) as opposed to MB (which is a metric for file size).

Yes but did you ever see the "settings" part on speedtest.net that allows you to either select Mbps or MB/s?... My line is 17Mbps (16.8Mbps)

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

See this is why I felt the need to clarify MB and Mb....

Mb is the metric used for data transfer, MB is the metric used for data storage. Since you were talking about a connection speed, you should use Mb regardless - primarily to avoid confusion like this lol

See this is why I felt the need to clarify MB and Mb....

Mb is the metric used for data transfer, MB is the metric used for data storage. Since you were talking about a connection speed, you should use Mb regardless - primarily to avoid confusion like this lol

Well i'm sorry for any confusion about this.. I and many others i know prefer to talk in MB/s but i understand that in networking you use Mbps.. However going from this, With 17Mbps that would surely be enough for skype.. Its never been a problem and only just started but my speed hasn't changed at all :/

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

You should use Mbps in the future, I've never seen anyone use MBps except out of a misunderstanding.

Well your internet is pretty fast, I don't have much knowledge with Skype so hopefully you get your problem solved.

You should use Mbps in the future, I've never seen anyone use MBps except out of a misunderstanding.

Well your internet is pretty fast, I don't have much knowledge with Skype so hopefully you get your problem solved.

Again im sorry for any confusion.. I have always just used MB/s as more people that i personally speak to understand MB/s more than Mbps speeds lol.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3

Well i'm sorry for any confusion about this.. I and many others i know prefer to talk in MB/s but i understand that in networking you use Mbps.. However going from this, With 17Mbps that would surely be enough for skype.. Its never been a problem and only just started but my speed hasn't changed at all :/

I used to prefer to work in MB/s too, but I've bowed to the accepted norm. I'd also rather work in mebi- and gibbi- rather than mega- and giga-, but hey ho the inaccurate measurements are what we have to use xD

Bump :P

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3