HDD Device not found in Bootable devices, nor bios, or anywhere. Please help.

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
2 minutes ago, Scrulls said:

So i opened up the easy HDD access part of the case and checked if it was spinning...no it was not, so i took it off and reinserted it with a different Sata Power connector and Sata cable to a different Sata port on the Motherboard... voila, it has been found in Computer management finally as 931 GB of unallocated Space.

Question now is... how do i  allocate it so i can use it.. ill try restarting and entering the BIOS storage partitions now, so should you have any tips, leave them here. Ill update this when its done. 

If you want to use you have to open disk managerment(run diskmgmt.msc in the run window or start) and then right click on the drive and select new volume

Also the drive is 1000GB is also 931GiB and windows uses GiB

Hi folks,

I have this concerning problem with my new PC (specs below) where after i installed Windows 10 x64 bit on it (had some troubles but got it running and installed on the SSD) i am unable to find the HDD which is a Toshiba 1TB 7200RPM hard drive.

So i suppose the problem could be in my windows installation, or simply something is unplugged which i am pretty sure is not the issue, is not there. (I am currently writing this from the new PC).

So the relevant parts here would be:

1. MSI Z170 Gaming M5 Motherboard
  2. Corsair 256 GB Force LE SSD
  3. Toshiba 1TB 7200RPM HDD
  4. Intel Core i5-6600K 1151
  5. MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

So i installed the windows with some issues (something about system memory), so i ran it a few times (i remembered to format the partitions each time so i doubt thats the Issue). 

And finally after i installed WIndows 10 x64 i went on to install all the drivers that came in with the GPU Box and the Motherboard box.

But still i cannot find the HDD in the Bootable Drives in the BIOS, nor the Device Manager nor the Computer management tabs.

Anyone got any ideas whats the issue here? I could also share my screen/camera through skype if someone is interested to take me through the MSI bios or the Windows install (its pretty fast, through a USB Flash drive, around 5 min).

Cheers!

J.

12 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Check with a linux usb drive. 

If its not there its probably a dead hdd. 

Does it spin up? touch it and see if its vibrating.

So i opened up the easy HDD access part of the case and checked if it was spinning...no it was not, so i took it off and reinserted it with a different Sata Power connector and Sata cable to a different Sata port on the Motherboard... voila, it has been found in Computer management finally as 931 GB of unallocated Space.

Question now is... how do i  allocate it so i can use it.. ill try restarting and entering the BIOS storage partitions now, so should you have any tips, leave them here. Ill update this when its done. 

2 minutes ago, Scrulls said:

If you want to use you have to open disk managerment(run diskmgmt.msc in the run window or start) and then right click on the drive and select new volume

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Right, i followed your instructions and i used the default settings so i simply kept clicking next and finish (Ill be simply using it for storage, so i doubt its that bad)  and i do have the allocated space and is now usable (NTFS is good right?). 

Cheers for the immediate help, i appreciate it. 

J.