Ram unstable at rated speeds

Looked everywhere for this issue and couldnt find it. Just built a new pc with a 6700k, Gigabyte gaming 7, 16gb of 3200 Gskill ram, 650w power supply and 1070 graphics card. Really excited about it. So this issue is with the ram.

At 2133 everything runs fine. Anything higher than that, even 2400, and the cpu will fluctuate between 2.0 amd 4.2 and the system will freeze. If I leave it at 2133 and disable the xmp the cpu hums along at 4.2. I can even overclock to 4.6 and it's still stable. Enable xmp and it all goes to shit. Has anyone else had this issue? Any tips?

anything above 2133mhz for skylake is considered as overclocking by intel therefore there is no guarantee that the CPU controler within your skylake processor will work with anything higher than 2133mhz...it usualy does...but sometimes it doesn't.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

RAM OCs can cause CPU OCs to go unstable (and vice versa). For starters, can you turn XMP on with stock CPU speeds and have it stable?

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

11 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

RAM OCs can cause CPU OCs to go unstable (and vice versa). For starters, can you turn XMP on with stock CPU speeds and have it stable?

The cpu is not stable at stock speeds when xmp is on. Do you think returning the cpu to amazon and getting another one would solve the issue? Or should I return the ram? Thanks for your help

1 minute ago, cried22 said:

The cpu is not stable at stock speeds when xmp is on. Do you think returning the cpu to amazon and getting another one would solve the issue? Or should I return the ram? Thanks for your help

the problem is very likely coming from the CPU...cause the RAM might not be fully stable at it's rated XMP profile...but your FAR from that...so unless Gskill messed up real bad and sold sticks from a much lower bin as being 3200mhz (unlikely) then it would mean the memory controler on your CPU is pretty bad.

How is the CPU in general? can it overclock a fair bit if you let the memory run at stock?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 minutes ago, cried22 said:

It could be:

1. RAM is faulty. It can happen, you know...
  2. CPU's IMC is crap and can't handle 3200mhz. It can happen, you know...
  3. Your mobo's not playing nice with your specific CPU and RAM kit. It can happen, you know...

I could recommend swapping out 2 of those parts and end up getting wrong, that's just how random this could be. Try setting XMP and just changing the frequency to 3100 / 3066 / 3000 rather than the standard 3200. See if that helps.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

8 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

the problem is very likely coming from the CPU...cause the RAM might not be fully stable at it's rated XMP profile...but your FAR from that...so unless Gskill messed up real bad and sold sticks from a much lower bin as being 3200mhz (unlikely) then it would mean the memory controler on your CPU is pretty bad.

How is the CPU in general? can it overclock a fair bit if you let the memory run at stock?

Cpu is awesome in general. Really like it. Got it up to 4.6 totally stable with xmp disabled. Scared to go any higher because I am new to overclocking. 

Just now, cried22 said:

Cpu is awesome in general. Really like it. Got it up to 4.6 totally stable with xmp disabled. Scared to go any higher because I am new to overclocking. 

what i would do is revert the CPU to all stock settings...then manually try to raise the memory clockspeed slowly one notch at a time and see where it fail...if you havnt tried already.

Also, a good idea would be to test with a single stick at a time...and try to find the ''maybe'' bad stick.

i think you have more testing to do to figure this out. :(