2x Intel® Xeon® Processor E5240 performance?

Go to solution Solved by SLAYR,
3 hours ago, Anjew said:

I currently have two E5620's running as server that runs very cpu intensive stuff and it runs great :)

E5620 is not even close to a e5240,

the e5240s are 3Ghz dual cores without hyperthreading, that is basically a e8400.

http://ark.intel.com/m/compare/33910,34739

3 hours ago, MattLY said:

What kind of performance should I expect from two Intel® Xeon® Processor E5240 
(6M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB) in a server motherboard? Right now I am running an i5 2320 and I want to upgrade- is it worth it?

Thanks for reading!!

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core2-Duo-E8400-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2320/2720vsm1735

HUGE DOWNGRADE!!!

You will lose about 40% performance going to those cpus without adding in that you will lose a lot more from the dual socket configuration since cpus don't scale equally (2 cpus doesn't give x2 power).

The only upgrade would be an i7 possibly something like an i7 2600. 

(6M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB) in a server motherboard? Right now I am running an i5 2320 and I want to upgrade- is it worth it?

Thanks for reading!!

I currently have two E5620's running as server that runs very cpu intensive stuff and it runs great :)

1 minute ago, Anjew said:

Thats great :) I have a question on the topic of server motherboards - the one im looking to pick up has one 2x2 pin power connector and one 2x4 pin power connector- my psu only has two 2x2 pin power connectors- what do I do?

1 minute ago, MattLY said:

Thats great :) I have a question on the topic of server motherboards - the one im looking to pick up has one 2x2 pin power connector and one 2x4 pin power connector- my psu only has two 2x2 pin power connectors- what do I do?

My motherboard came with a 2x4, but luckly my psu had one.  If my psu didn't have one i was going to buy an extension, so if you're comfortable using one you could use that.

Just now, Anjew said:

My motherboard came with a 2x4, but luckly my psu had one.  If my psu didn't have one i was going to buy an extension, so if you're comfortable using one you could use that.

How much power should I dual cpu pc use with a r9 380? I have a 650 watt.

55 minutes ago, MattLY said:

How much power should I dual cpu pc use with a r9 380? I have a 650 watt.

My main build is an 8350 and a 290x and i have a 750w psu I don't think I get close to that target, so you'll be good :)

and two of those cpus use less power than an 8350

3 hours ago, Anjew said:

E5620 is not even close to a e5240,

the e5240s are 3Ghz dual cores without hyperthreading, that is basically a e8400.

http://ark.intel.com/m/compare/33910,34739

3 hours ago, MattLY said:

Thanks for reading!!

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core2-Duo-E8400-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2320/2720vsm1735

HUGE DOWNGRADE!!!

You will lose about 40% performance going to those cpus without adding in that you will lose a lot more from the dual socket configuration since cpus don't scale equally (2 cpus doesn't give x2 power).

The only upgrade would be an i7 possibly something like an i7 2600. 

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •