Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard Overclocking

Hi, I recently built a computer and successfully overclocked my cpu, a 6600k @ 4.7 GHz with 1.3V. However, after tinkering a bit in the BIOS in order to find out how to reduce core clock and voltage when idling, I am unable to lower the cpu voltage when idling, but the core clocks does go down to 800 MHz. Any help would be appreciated. A step by step tutorial to lower the voltage when idling would also be helpful. Thanks!

EDIT:

BIOS Version is F7

I have turned on Cstates C1E, C3, and EIST. I have disabled C5, C6/C7, C8

2 hours ago, jjsyue said:

Hi, I recently built a computer and successfully overclocked my cpu, a 6600k @ 4.7 GHz with 1.3V. However, after tinkering a bit in the BIOS in order to find out how to reduce core clock and voltage when idling, I am unable to lower the cpu voltage when idling, but the core clocks does go down to 800 MHz. Any help would be appreciated. A step by step tutorial to lower the voltage when idling would also be helpful. Thanks!

EDIT:

BIOS Version is F7

I have turned on Cstates C1E, C3, and EIST. I have disabled C5, C6/C7, C8

But.... why are you disabling the C States if you want to save power? That makes no sense.

Not that there's a problem in running your CPU at full speed and voltage 24/7 anyway, but...

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I read somewhere the enabling the Higher C states will make my computer slower to wake up from sleep, and boot.

But how will I reduce voltage when idling on a gigabyte motherboard? Enabling the C-states sure did not work, and after searching the internet, I still could not find a satisfactory answer.

1 hour ago, jjsyue said:

I read somewhere the enabling the Higher C states will make my computer slower to wake up from sleep, and boot.

But how will I reduce voltage when idling on a gigabyte motherboard? Enabling the C-states sure did not work, and after searching the internet, I still could not find a satisfactory answer.

For starters, is it really idling? Check if there's not any process causing a high performance state.

Also, check your power settings in windows. Those could prevent you from downclocking.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

My windows power setting is on Balance. CPU Usage is at 0% - 5%, and there should not be any processes that are causing a high performance state.

The problem is not with the clockspeed, because the clockspeed is going down to 800 MHz when idling, which is fine. However, the CPU Core voltage stays at 1.296V, according to AIDA 64, CPU-Z and HWMonitor, which is my problem is.